1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fearful good for mid heavy rocking p bass tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juanchioo, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Juanchioo

Juanchioo

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi, my dad makes hi-fi audio speakers for living. So instead of buying a cab i want to build one with him.

Sadly i live in argentina so i cant try a fearful cab or say an ampeg cab for cloning etc.

Im afraid the "flatness" of the fearful might not sound the way i want, but not for anything in particular, just me not having tried it.

Other option would be to clone an ampeg cab or just pick good eminence speakers for example and make a cab accordingly.

I think the tone i like could be better described as "vintage". I play rock on a p bass, mostly (just mostly) with a pick, and i enjoy playing closer to the neck, but not exclusively at all, i like to roll of hi freq completely and boost mids, i also like a kind of overdriven sound, currently have a lh500, but planing to upgrade to something like orange terror bass, and hopefully in the future an all tube head.

Do you think i would be better with a fearful cab, a clone of a particular cab? or maybe a 4x10, a 112/212 or a 115? i cant get speakers from pretty much any major speaker maker, but from what i read and what my dad says eminence stand out.

Anyways i would like the opinion from someone who was able to try some of the options and compare them! Thank you in advance! <3

PD: oh and lets say i go for the fearles build, if i tend to not like much hi-fi sound for my playing and tend to roll of highs completely, should i still get the tweeter or can i skip it?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    A fEARful cab will reproduce what you put into it. If you put vintage in, you'll get vintage out.... For what you describe I'd skip the tweeter. Fearless cabs are different and not available for DIY, they are only built by authorized builders.

HolmeBass likes this.
  3. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I'm going to suggest you go for the kappalite 3015 over the 3015Lf unless you have loads of power. More sound for given input.

GregC and iualum like this.
  4. Juanchioo

Juanchioo

Jul 19, 2013
    yeah sorry aahaha i got confused, i meant fearful cabs, i corrected it

yeah i get that, but its hard to know how the amps sound when they are being demo on a colored cab, how would they sound in coparation to those speaker configurations? oh and if i dont go fearful, does sealed or ported fit my requeriments better?

yeah if i go 15 i was thinking of one of those, when i proposed this to my dad he talked about those too

ok, so ill make my question simpler, say i go for a fearful design, how would it compare in sound to a 410 or a 212 sealed or ported?

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    @Juanchioo — Hi—

Great questions.

I played nothing but passive P-basses for many (~20) years, and always struggled to get the sound I wanted. I later went to active basses, quality boutique-like cabinets, tube pre-amps, and 1200 watt power amps. I then moved to passive Jazz bass, with a few active 5-strings ever at the ready.

When I got my first fEARful, it was because I STILL was unhappy with my rig, no matter which instruments I used. I took a chance and bought a 15/6/1 cabinet from an authorized fEARful builder who was closing up his shop and going into other work.

I was stunned by how great that first cabinet sounded, though I was also shocked by how much I could hear from all of my basses that I had not heard before. I went on to buy 3 more of that builder's used cabinets (Ron Anchak). I now use them all regularly in a variety of locations and configurations.

If I were still playing my P-bass only and seeking only the low-mid rich/loud clean sound I was seeking then, I think I would still consider conventional cabinets, if and only if they were cheap and I can make them sound exactly as I want.

So—In my humble opinion as a fEARful user, I think you should weigh the costs and the available used quality cabinets. It is unlikely you can find anything that is actually better than a fEARful (assuming you get the fEARful you need), but you may find something non-fEARful that you like very much that is cheap. I am talking about a used Epifani 212, Bergantino 410, and a few others.

Don't get me wrong. I do not consider the Epifani, Berg, Mesa, etc. cabs to be as good as a fEARful (for me), but they are very good.

Parting thought. You can get anything out of a fEARful, as long as that is what you are putting in. I use either a Mesa M9 900 watt head with amazing GEQ, or a relatively cheap used Gallien Krueger MB800 with a VTBass SVT simulator pedal.

If I had a family member into cabinet building, this would be easy. I'd build a 15/6/1, and then build either a 15sub or a reverse baffle 15/1/6, if I needed more. Your cabinet needs are pretty much done with those, IMHO. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    HolmeBass likes this.
  6. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    You might consider a pair of Faital 15PR400's. They are very close to JBL D140F's. You can't get a more vintage sound than those. Not a fEARful, but similar to a Dually (greenboy cab) is a diy build by TB'er JohnK_10. It's sounds fantastic. Here's the thread which contains sound clips with both the Faitals and Eminence 3015's (non LF) loaded in the cab. I really like the Faitals. If you're not familiar with JohnK, check out his web site and look at the fantastic restoration and creation of vintage Fenders and others.

Custom DIY 2x15 cab build | TalkBass.com

7. Juanchioo

Juanchioo

Jul 19, 2013

Thank you that was really helpful! Im not interested in buying a branded cab, here they are very very expensive because of the shipping cost of something that big, so building them is so much cheaper.

those clips are nice! sometimes i like the faitals more and sometimes the eminece, but i think the eminence would do a little better with some overdrive from what i can hear, i might be wrong though!

So lets say i compare a 410 sealed, a 410 ported with the same speakers and a 15/6 with the exact same amp. Wich qualities will add each one of the 410 to the sound? What i want to know is, in what way would they color it? I know the only way to know if i prefer that is to try them but since i cant, and i couldnt find any videos on it, my only choise is to pick from descriptions of people with experience in trying many cabs!

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    @Juanchioo ,

If I were in your shoes, seeking a vintage vibe with Precision Bass, and not wanting much hi-fi in your sound, this ^ is definitely the way I would go. IMO, keep it simple. Skip the fEARless. Take AHC's advice and build either a custom 2x15 with a pair of Faital 15PR400 woofers...or a pair of 1x15 cabs (my personal preference), each with a Faital 15PR400.

Skip the Kappalite LFs. Skip the entire "studio monitor live" thing, in fact. And definitely skip the 4x10.

Done.

MM

Zoa, Wolffgang, AstroSonic and 4 others like this.
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Always shoot for a ported design. You can always plug the ports. If you're going to build something make it worth it. The most bang for the buck is going to be 15" based cabs. Two 1x15 boxes will get you where you want to be. Put a mid in one of them and you'll be able to hear your tone better without your head being directly in front of the speakers.

Even the 15's sound great without the mid compared to something like an ampeg 4x10.

Mystic Michael and Juanchioo like this.
  10. Juanchioo

Juanchioo

Jul 19, 2013

ok! and what about 3015 or 15pr400 vs 3015lf with a mid?
    or you suggest adding a mid to the 3015/15pr400?

11. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    For what you describe two 1x15's with either the 3015 or pr400 would be perfect for any bass amp. The 3015LF only has the advantage if you have a amp that could give it around 1000w on peaks. I have extensive experience with both the 3015 and 3015LF.

I prefer mids at all times if possible but I could live without them as well.

12. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Check out the greenboy cab called the dually. It's available from authorized builders only but it is a really simple design with the speakers being ran full range. The dimensions are listed and the ports are simple enough... I imagine it wouldn't be the hardest thing to duplicate.

The 15/6 will be like a good studio monitor where a dually type cabinet will give you a bit more baked in midrange sound.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  13. Juanchioo

Juanchioo

Jul 19, 2013
    so the LF arent worth looking at then?

what should i expect from adding the mids? and wich model would it be?

that one looks intresting as well! ill definitely have it in mind

14. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I would stay away from the LF's unless you go with pre/poweramp rack rig. The mids will get you more definition and highs further off axis, but from your tone descriptions it probably won't be a big difference for you. I like lots of highs. Slap and aggressive fingerstyle

The dually was designed for the 3015. The pr400 will work too, just have to adjust the port length. Or not depending on taste.

15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I agree. A straightforward 215 cab will suit your needs well. No tweeter. Big 2" port on the bottom. Killer sound! :bassist:

EDIT: I read above, using 2 x 115 cabinets is ideal, you can stack them or use them one at a time.

16. Juanchioo

Juanchioo

Jul 19, 2013

i just talked to my dad, he said making two basic 15 would me much better acoustically, because they would have to interact with each other, i think that will be the way to go

aesthetic wise, i like the dually better but yeah ahahaha

i guess i cant do much better than this, thank you guys!

im intrigued why each time i go to a concert i see guys using ampeg 810 fridges and none of these desings

17. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I would describe my tonal goals much like you did. Vintage P bass, heavy on the mids. Flatwounds. This is the rig that does it for me. And it does it damned well if you ask me.

Streamliner 900>fEARful 12/6 (no tweeter) + 12sub. Headroom! I've set off the burgaler alarm in my house with this rig and the cabs weren't even breaking a sweat. I usually run the bass knob between 10:00 and 11:00, boost the crap outta the mids (@600) and treble stays around noon. Sounds like Duck Dunn to my ears. The Streamliner will do a lovely gritty dirt too if that's your thing.

Plus it's great to just sit and look at. Damn, it's so pretty.

finished-stack.

18. The non LF doesn't work with the fEARful plans.

Which specific cabs are you wanting to compare to? There is no "410 sound".

Have you ever played a fEarful cab? Because it doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about.

To the OP.
    I ran a ampeg/fearful rig for years with a passive P. Great tones vintage and otherwise.

mbelue likes this.
  19. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    For a DIY cab, you can't hardly go wrong with a 15/6 fEARful. Stick to the plans, use the 3015LF.
    It's a proven design, if you build one following the plans, it will definitely be a solid, useable cab.

If you want to experiment, that's a different story, one which rarely has a useable result on the first try, but can be quite rewarding with some perseverance.

20. I like Jim Carr's response.
    A fEARful will put out what you put in
    without any 'baked in' tone of it's own.
    While they will work with any amp,
    they do seem to be at their best with a lot of power.