1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fEARful HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lburton2, Aug 6, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I'm in the process of buying speakers for a 1515/66/1 cab.. The only version of the Eminence ASD1001 i'm finding is the "screw on type" is this the type that should be used with the cab?

Thanks for the help guys.

Les

2. I think the 18sound XD125 with the Pyle Pro PH612 wave guide is the "To Spec" HF option for the 1515/66. That Emi tweeter is the one on the 15/6 I believe.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    i suggest you contact greenboy through his website.

4. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    On the site it says that the Eminence mid-drivers are only for the 12/6. On SpeakerHardware.. Which sells the kits they list the Eminence ASD1001 as an option along with the 18Sound for the tweeter on the 1515/66s

5. From what I have quickly gone back and read, the 18 sound is the "To spec, approved" tweeter for the 1515/66. I have one in my cab, its fantastic.

6. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I just don't know if I'd use the tweeter that much anyways.. It usually results in clank and harshness.. Or maybe I'm just used to a crappy tweeter... ? The cab I've been using is an Eden 410XLT..

7. These are not the tweeters you are used to...

I do not find my tweeter to be harsh at all. Those mid drivers cover a range where, on a "normal" cab, there is a notch as the woofers roll off in the upper mids and then a spike as the tweeter kicks in. With the fEARful the mid driver covers this, and the tweeters kick in much higher. I like the sound of my tweeter, but depending on your amp, playstyle, and tonal goals you may not need/want the tweeter.

As an example I have a tweeter in my 1515/66, but RNV does not have one in his. We play somewhat similar styles of music. If possible you should play through a fEARful and see if the mid driver covers your needs.

8. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Big +1

I have a 15/6/1 and a 12/6/1 with the Eminence ASD1001 and JBL waveguide - absolutely no clank, no harshness.

It actually took me a while to hear the tweeters in my fEARful cabs because I was so used to (and expecting) that irritating *clickity* sound that most tweeter produce - and it just isn't there.

Another +1

9. barryaudio

barryaudio

Feb 9, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Authorized Builder: fEARful bass, greenboy designs, Bill Fitzmaurice
    You can use the ASD1001 with the 1515/66. The waveguide spec'd out is a 1" screw on. Actually if you use the XD125, you need to buy an adapter. The ASD1001 is a less sensitive driver but can keep up with the 66 IMO.

10. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Yeah- I did some digging on greenboy's site.. Some things are hard to find on there.. But it does state that the screw-on is standard type for the tweeters.

11. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    But the real question is, where would one get their poodle clipped while in Burbank?

12. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Thank goodness for that FAQ. lol