Fearing the day when all possible melodies have been played

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Jan 29, 2005.

1. When does the Mayan calendar end? 2012?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You don't have to worry about it unless your Mayan. And it couldn't be too accurate-if it was, it would have ended a couple hundred years back when they did.

Oh, and no need to worry about when all possible melodies have been played, either. I've tried all the flavors of Laffy Taffy, and I still happily go back for more of the same.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I think all the possible melodies of the world have already been played.

Just like all the possible stories have already been told.

All (or most) of Chuck Berry's songs were in A, but I still think he's an incredible artist.

Great works are created through presentation, precision, care and passion. It's kind of interesting how much of the same ideas are repeated over and over again, but people can still be enraptured by new takes on them. Kind of comforting, actually.
  4. good words, meng.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's a lawyer's wet dream.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Call me the day all the melodies have been played over every possible key, chord reharmonization, time feel, rhythm and I still won't care. :p
  7. "This song...Has nothing Bright about it..."
  8. I guess there are probably a few that sound so bad everyone avoids using them. Otherwise, if we run out we can just start w/ crazy time signatures. 11, 13, 17, 19........
  9. That happened the day Lou Reed wrote Sweet Jane. Every Rock and Roll band since has played that melody......................................
  10. I always wondered what Mark Latimour's thoughts get up too