1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fearless vs Schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BK bassist, Nov 27, 2017.

1. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all ....

Been searching for a really thunderous bass cab for a few weeks now and I've got it narrowed down to these cab choices:

A Fearless F212 or 1515/6
    or
    A Schroeder 212 with a titanium horn

all 3 cabs are rated at or around 1600 watts ... or at least I know the 2x12's are.

All 3 are within my budget too with the Schroeder being the least expensive of the 3

I'll be using this cab with either a Mesa D800+ head or a Hartke LH1001 or GK1001rb

Can anyone here give me any strong and truly valid reasons to go with one of these cabinet brands over the other?

I'm talking strictly from a tonality point of view ..... such as will one will provide much better low end at a higher volume without breaking up OR will one give a really great low end but allow for clarity of bass licks in the upper registers of the fretboard at the same time?

Schroeder vs Fearless ..... what do y'all think? ..... and thanks.

2. The Schroeders are more mid forward voiced and the fearless more of a flat studio monitor vibe. The Schroeder will be lighter weight but less neutral sounding or balanced low end. I haven't owned a 212 Schroeder but have both a 115L and a 410. (Just sold the 410) I currently own a F12/6/1 and like the more modern and flat sounding F types. I think the F will kick the Shroe's butt in both tone quality and overall output and at the same time have more low end and high end on tap.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Schroeder is all about midrange honk. Fearless will be very even from low to high, very articulate sounding. Sorry, schroeder fans. Lots of others to consider though. Baer, AudioKinesis, the Subway 15" would probably fit your needs.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  4. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    What do you mean by "balanced" low end?

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    The Greenboy designs are pretty much massive low end cabs, due to the LF Eminence drivers that they use. I don't know that it is necessary for one brand of cab to " kick butt " over another brand of cab for it to be any better, but the fearless cabs have that advantage over the Schroeder. I have tried the 12/6 and 15/6 Greenboy models and prefer the solid hitting, low mid punch of the Schroeder 15 Pl. I don't have to be insanely loud, or have a massive low end for my gigs, so, I'm looking for more tonal qualities, preferably in the low mid area, for my sound. I always thought the fearless designs gave the 5 string player an advantage with that LF woofer, but I was pleasantly surprised when I let a 5 string player sit in on my 15Pl cab, and Shuttle 6.2. The low B string came through without any fartout, loud and chunky. Sheer volume and big low end? Yeah the fearless would be your choice. But since I don't need that stuff, the great schlepp-ability, and tonal qualities of the Schroeder do it for me. I've never heard or played the 212 versions of either brand, so I can't speak to that, but I would think that they are both louder versions of the single driver models. Imho, of course. perhaps the OP could speak more about his type of music he plays, and volume needs ?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  6. Perhaps balanced isn't a good descriptor. With my 410 schroe there was big dub lows but seemed too heavy on the bottom and lacking mids and not as full frequency or perhaps voiced very low. Not sure about that, and then the 115L is a small box that, I think, gives up some low end at least to my ears. Both the F112s and F115 seem to be flater sounding less voiced and more like big studio monitors. I also very much respect jnewmark's opinion above. And like him, have gigged the cabs I mentioned above. As a side note I gig my Bergantinos more than any of the above. I also play 5ers most of the time.

jnewmark likes this.
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I have one of the older angled driver Schroeder 1212's...so it's probably a different animal. If you're looking for something that can faithfully reproduce deep lows and be fairly even across the rest of the range at volume, my vote is a fEARless. But then, I've been gigging Dave's cabs since 2009...

pacojas and dukeorock like this.
  8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    An older Schroeder cab is a midrange bazooka with very little content under 150 Hz at gig volume. The fEarless is one of the best cabs available at any price-very versatile....will take eq and reproduce pretty much what you feed it....gets very loud and low for its' weight if fed enough power. Its' low end is significantly tighter/more defined than the fEarful line. It will provide far more low end response without compromising the mids. For me the fEarless is the clear, easy winner by a mile.

Edit-BTW I have owned (in chrono order) Schro 1212L, 12+ L, BMF1212 and BMF 215. I have not heard the newest "PL" Schro line. In all the other cases I was lured by wildly high power handling ratings and light weight. In every case I was disappointed by a super loud cab that screamed upper mids and was very weak in the lows, and unwilling to correct with aggressive eq. Local TBer Smallmouth Bass came over with his fEarless 112 for a test drive. That box brings the beef, in spades, with a double of Basil Haden to wash it down :). That said, Jorg is a standup guy and for some players, the Schro scratches what itches.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  9. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yes. If you depend on your stage cab to carry the house, the smaller Schroeders are an odd pick. They'll get loud, but b/c so much of the voice starts in the low mids. (Schroeder's exceptions are the 21012 and 21012L—maybe other bigger Schro cabs that I haven't played or heard—which'll get lower, but which still don't aim to sound like PA cabs.)

The little Schroeders make more sense if you play gigs where the on-stage bass tone is sonically crowded by other instruments that threaten to mask it, or if you play with PA support and work to minimize stage spill that competes with FOH sound, or when shaving pounds really matters.

The more you want the stage sound to echo the FOH sound (instead of getting out of FOH's way while giving you sculpted monitoring), the more the edge goes to the Fearless.

Kro and dukeorock like this.
  10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Jorg is a great guy and makes nice cabs; but, the Fearless cabs are at a different level. Much better, and heavier, bass guitar cabs.

That said, the Schro 15+L was the absolutely finest tone I ever got amplifying an upright bass. An interesting yin yang, where the big instrument actually benefited from the low end profile.

lomo likes this.
  11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    +1 The cabs that I was using before I acquired my Fearless were excellent at cutting through in a dense monitoring mix, but when I needed to carry a room they IMO left something to be desired. Not really the cabs' fault, just different tools for different needs.

The thing with the Fearless cabs is that with a little bit of knob tweaking, you can get similarly excellent monitoring tones from them if you so desire - they're a blank canvas, with low-end extension being there when you want it, but easily dialed back via any number of methods. The reverse isn't always true for the more mid-focused cabs.

One last point: OP, you'll hear terms like flat response and studio monitor tossed around in association with the Fearless and Fearful cabs. I suggest not paying much attention to them, and simply trying to find a way to test one out to see if their tone is for you. I'll be honest, while I know the goal for the Fearfuls was to be relatively flat, I have a hunch that the Fearless cabs might have been tweaked to be a hair more bass-centric (that includes upright). The only way you'll know if it's for you, is to try one out.

I know for a fact that there's a builder within a 2 hour drive of you that has models to demo...

BK bassist and dukeorock like this.
  12. Shirts come in different colors, You can pick what suits you. This is the same with bass cabs, they have different appeals to different people. Here are a few objective comparisons of those cabs.

• They are all going to have different overall outputs, ranking them in terms of total possible db levels
      • fEARful 1515/66/1
      • fEARless F212
      • Schroder 212
    • They are all going to have different weights ranked from heaviest to lightests
      • fEARful 1515/66/1
      • fEARless F212
      • Schroder 212
    • They are all going to have different extensions in range. Coincidentally both high and low ends are going be further extended in the same ranking
      • fEARful 1515/66/1
      • fEARless F212
      • Schroder 212
    • They are all going to have different levels of smoothness to their response curve. Ranking them smoothest to not
      • fEARless F212
      • fEARfull 1515/66/1
      • Schroder 212
    • So which is right for you?

13. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY

And I already have an appointment to visit his shop later this week, thanks!

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I run an f212 under a subway d800+.

just ridiculously capable at all things from about all directions

Dave Hill, pacojas and Gearhead17 like this.
  15. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the great feedback all.

16. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    And that's exactly what I am hoping for as well with my D800+

17. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    :thumbsup:

18. BluesBassFreak

BluesBassFreak Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    WA state
    I had 2 Schroeder cabs and now I have none! My opinion, they were not built well and sounded weak. (ultra lite15/15 and 12/10)

steelbed45 and Mowbro like this.
  19. I have owned or played through a large number of greenboy cabs: 12/6/1, 1212/6/1, 15/6, 1515/66/1, F112, F115, F212, Bassic12, Bassic15, DuallyT. I have not tried the F215, F110, F210, or the Crazy 8's.

The three finest cabs greenboy has designed IMHO are the fEARful 1515/66/1 for its sheer outlandish output and performance, the fEARless F212 for its all around sound per pound capability and tone, and the DuallyT for its take on a more classical sounding cab while hitting the target on form factor and weight. Those are additionally the three cabs I justified keeping/owning.

dukeorock and BK bassist like this.
  20. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Running the same thing, just the D800. Ridiculously loud, so many tones to work with. The amount of low end is crazy. Commercial bass cabs can't get close to the low end the F212 can do.

Dave Hill and dukeorock like this.