Feasibility of converting a 2X15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sapo, Aug 2, 2001.

1. I had an idea and I need the advice of some of the knowledgeable people here. I have an old Peavey 2X15 Black Widow cab. The 15's are isolated from each other by a baffle. Just your standard 2X15 cab.

Anyhow, what I want to do is run each speaker independently of the other, kind of like having two single 15 cabs stacked on one another. Of course I'd have to run another jack and I'm aware of the impedance change.

I want to do this so I can run an amp to each speaker (my bass is stereo). Is there any technical reason why this won't work or are there potential problems I should be aware of? Thanks!
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey that sounds like a cool idea... i'm not completely sure, but it shouldn't be a problem. I have an swr 8-10, and it has 2 seperate inputs, one for the top 4 and one for the bottom 4. I don't see why that would be any different... but again, im not sure... Im interested to know if it works though... keep us posted...
  3. So your cab has two separate 1/4" inputs on the back? That's pretty cool...have you ever run it with both inputs?
  4. There are no technical problems. :D

When you said "baffle" I am hearing the two sections of the cabinet are completely isolated from each other?

Most 15" drivers are designed to operate in much larger volumes that most 15" cabinets give them. It is a simple matter to install a second jack plate, either 1/4" or Speakon. The drivers are probably 8 ohm, so again no problem.
  5. That is correct.

That is very good! What would you suggest as the best method for doing this (I'm no technical whiz). I figured I could either drill a hole in the existing jack plate and mount the jack that way or I could drill into the cabinet behind the second 15 and mount a second jack plate there.

If I do the latter, I have to find the proper tool for boring out the wood (since I have to make a hole big enough for the plate to rest in) and second, I'll have to find a jack plate. How would you recommend I proceed?
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If I Were doing it, I would proceed like this.

1. Remove the front grill and then remove the speakers. This will allow you to get a look in the cabinet as to how it is wired. It is probably wired parrallel with a lead going from the jack to the top speaker and a second wire going from the top speaker to the bottom one.

2. The very easiest way to do it would be to unsolder the second wire from the top speaker and leave the wire from the jack to the first speaker attached. If it comes loose when you heat up the solder, you'll have to reattach it. You may just want to clip the second wire off with wire cutters. The little stumps won't hurt anything if left on the speaker posts and you won't have to worry about messing up a good solder connection.

3. Where you locate the second jack is not important. If you are able to and choose to use the existing wires, you will probably have to put it below the first one in order to have enough length. If you replace the wires, you can put it anywhere you want..

4. You should be able to get a jack plate and jack from any music/electronics store. All you gotta do now is solder the leads to the jack and you are ready to rock. I would suggest a little bead of caulk or silicone around the jack plate to seal it up. A simple spade drill bit or hole saw from the hardware store will create a hole for you.

Remember that each speaker will now handle less power and the ohm load is going to double. Not that it is a problem, it would just be unfortunate to do all that work and then blow up the speakers.

Also use a battery (I think a 9 volt is easiest) to check the phasing of the two speakers.

Plug in a cord to the jacks. With a little dexterity, you should be able to lay the cable end across the posts of the battery so the the tip touches the positive and the sleeve touches the negative. Observe the direction the cone moves. Test the other. It should move in the same direction. If not, switch the lead wires on the posts. (or the jack) Best thing to do is to also do this test BEFORE you change the wiring. Then make sure they move the same way they did before you took it apart.
  7. Chasarms thanks for the very informative post.