1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fed Ex price-gouging account holders

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Oct 3, 2008.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've had a fed ex account for a couple years. It has worked well preparing shipments at home, printing shipping labels, etc. I let it go on way to long, but about 5 months ago, I started seeing numerous add-on fees to my account for basses and crap I've shipped. Gas charges, delivery charges and the like. In some instances the charges totaled twice the original shipping amount.

I just cancelled my account. When I present a package to fedex at the local Kinko's, the add-on fees are not there. I really feel taken.

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    UPS does the same stuff to me at work. They add gas and transportation fees, which to me is kind of confusing. If you're adding this to my bill, what's the other crap for, I thought that's what I'm paying for.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I have noticed it as well, especially if its going out of the country, boy watch out..

I got nailed with a $22 gas surcharge on a 11lb package going to Canada..

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I just shipped a ridiculous amount of magazines to Italy, but our pick up time had come and gone so I walked it down to the store. I asked him to weigh it for my own edification:

"44 lbs"
    "Ha! that's gonna be ridiculously expensive." I'm really happy I didn't have to pay for that.

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    What burns me is for non-acct holders who present a package for delivery at the Kinkos or whatever, there are no such add-on charges. Thus, the cancellation of my acct.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yeah...I think big companies just think frequent or long time users of services are not going to change up their routine. So they screw them over.

For example: I have Time Warner cable and internet. I have had it for years. I saw an ad on TV for 25 bucks a month for 3 months of cable (same package as I have) if you sign up. So, I called my local cable place and asked if I could have the 3 months deal (saving me about 75 bucks). "No, it is only for NEW customers", they said. Do I get a reward for being a loyal customer for years? Nope.

And then big corporation CEO's wonder why the average consumer hates them.

7. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I had gas charges over a package I recently received from UPS. It came up to 43$ to ship a quarter-pound box.

:scowl:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm in the same boat, but I have not cancelled yet. Maybe I finally should like you did.

-Mike

9. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    alright then well......whose the all around best shipping company now (when it comes to CONUS)? i always have loved UPS. are they going downhill or is everyone just about the same. i don't even want to hear about DHL.....i have nightmares about them.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I think I read somewhere that the price of oil has gone us substantially in the past year. Anybody else hear this rumour? :rolleyes:

Trucking, delivery, airlines, etc.....companies that purchase fuel have seen their costs skyrocket. Who do you think should pay for it? The government?

Go online and price an airline ticket all the way until you are required to give credit card details.

Fedex operates a huge network of trucks, jets and airplanes. The service is predicated on overnight which utilizes gas guzzling machinery. They're not being dick heads. They're trying stay afloat.

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I get complaints like that quite often.

Fortunately, we don't add hiddden surcharges(USPS).

12. they shouldn't lie on their charges then, the gas surcharges and whatever should be in the up-front shipping fee, not back loaded when you're being held to ransom to get hold of the package...
    this is just them claiming their prices are low when really they're slamming the customer with surcharges and other hidden extras.

13. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe the point the OP was trying to make is this:
    He has an account with UPS and gets these fuel charges tacked onto his account. But when he goes to use the same service but NOT through his account...just as an average 1 time user...there are no extra charges added on.

UPS is making their account holders (people who do heavy usage of their service) pick up the bill for high prices of gas while joe off the street can use the service for a lower rate.

get it now?

14. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio

Also the big flaw in his statement is when gas comes down in price do their charges lessen? And the answer is no..

So throwing out the old gas isnt cheap argument is crap.. No one adjusts the price when gas has equaled out. They stay forward with the current pricing.