Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fedex Custom fees?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5bassman, Dec 22, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I recently purchased a bass from a TB'er in Singapore and he shipped with Fedex. I figured I would have to pay custom fees but wasn't sure how much. They hit me for $247 for a $2500 Sadowsky. Is this normal? I mean, it is a Sadowsky Ultra Vintage P/J 4 so I guess it was worth it but this fee seems high.

2. Just to clear something up.. it wasn't FedEx that charged you customs fees (nor would it be UPS or any other shipping company). It's the country that imports the goods that charges fees and sets rates. (You may pay these to the shipper - in this case FedEx, but they aren't actually getting that money... they're acting as the middle man).

You had a good imported from another country. It was something being sold for a high(er) dollar amount. I think anything sold over $2000 or $2500 is hit pretty hard with duties/customs.

Also, I think the original philosophy on duties is that it encourages you to buy within your own country, but I could be way off - I'm no economist.

Congrats on the Sadowsky, BTW :bassist:

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    10% is pretty low really. Any bass coming into the UK gets about 22.5%

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Yeah, and they try and rip you off in any way possible. A friend just bought a £1000 used PRS guitar from the states, and the customs charge was ridiculous. He worked out the actual cost from the figures, and he was charged almost double what he should have been charged - told the company and instantly got his money back. Sounds like someone was trying to make some quick cash... :scowl:

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    US Customs does have a web site that lists all of the duties. You can check there to see if you were charged the right amount.

6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    FedEx (and other international shipping companies) provide Customs clearance as a courtesy to their customers. When you pay the fee, it is then paid in full to the importing goverment Customs authority. FedEx makes $0 on these transactions (outside the shipping fees).

What's in it for them? The quicker they can help get it through Customs the quicker they can get it to you, and the more you'll be impressed with their service.

7. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    If the Sadowsky was made in the USA (and I think that all of them are) you shouldn't have had to pay ANYTHING to Customs. We pay customs duty on goods manufactured in another country and imported for eventual sale in our home country. You should check it out and ask for a full refund of the customs duty(I hope you still have the paperwork!)

8. This has never been my experience with about 30 international transactions through Fedex, UPS and Purolator. They all charge a brokerage fee (at least in Canada they do) for brokering goods through Customs. I think that UPS is typically $35. They've never done it for free out of the goodness of their hearts.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "FedEx (and other international shipping companies) provide Customs clearance as a courtesy to their customers. When you pay the fee, it is then paid in full to the importing goverment Customs authority. FedEx makes $0 on these transactions (outside the shipping fees).

What's in it for them? The quicker they can help get it through Customs the quicker they can get it to you, and the more you'll be impressed with their service."

I disagree. I have used both UPS and Fedex and they always charge a brokerage fee on top of the shipping charge.
    On a 2000 + dollar bass you got off pretty easy at around 10% ( brokerage and customs duties).

10. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Your right, my bad. And Thanks!

11. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    I stand corrected then. I guess the shipper or the recipient could make arrangements to move it through customs themselves via an agent, but I'm guessing that would be even more expensive than an overnight company who does it en masse every day and charges a few bucks for the service.

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'I guess the shipper or the recipient could make arrangements to move it through customs themselves via an agent, but I'm guessing that would be even more expensive than an overnight company who does it en masse every day and charges a few bucks for the service.'

Right on. Unless you ship stuff regularly through an assigned broker, it's more hassle and probably more expense to assign the shipment to a clearing agent etc....

13. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Well, just to revive this thread, I did as you suggested and disputed the charges since it was originally made in the U.S. and was being sent back to the U.S. and after a long process they decided I didn't owe the $247. What a break that was!:hyper: