Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FedEx: HEY!!! You're going the wrong way with my stuff!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Mar 7, 2006.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    This isn't the first time that I've seen FedEx or even UPS do this, but it puzzles me each time.

I'm having my new Roscoe shipped from TPB out of Baton Rouge, 2-day delivery. Soooo... I check the tracking info and they're taking my axe from Baton Rouge to Memphis! WRONG WAY, BUDDY! BRING IT HERE!!!

I know that Memphis is probably one of their main shipping/sorting hubs, but does it really make that much more sense to take it so far out of the way instead of just shooting it straight to the desination's sorting facility? Is it that much more cost effective for them to haul it to Memphis just to put it on a plane, instead of rolling a truck to Austin?

I'm in the end it makes good business sense for FedEx to do things the way that they do. It just doesn't help my GAS relief to see my bass going the opposite way before it comes to me!

2. jaysun

jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    i bought a huge bass rig on ebay. they sent it via some trucking company. the day i went to pick it up, apparently someone else had picked it up by accident and shipped it to texas (i live in PA). I wasn't too happy that they let someone sign for my package. anyhow, they chased it down and sent it back up to PA. I got it 12 hours before my bands first show! talk abotu a close call.

Thats pretty outta the way if you ask me.

3. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Just a slight detour. :)

But dang, to ship stuff like that using some miscellaneous shipping company isn't good!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know what you mean. I live between Portland and Seattle. My UPS packages go from Portland to Seattle, and then back down to my place. It adds a day or two to shipments and frustrates me knowing my package went right by my house on it's way to Seattle.

-Mike

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Memphis isn't one of their hubs, it's the MAIN hub. Not much moves through FedEx that doesn't go through Memphis. I'm guessing they don't have too much call for a regular BR-Austin route. :)

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Memphis is Fed Ex's main airhub. Everything air comes through Memphis. Much like UPS's Louisville hub. I have some friends that work out there, and have a hard time getting hours, yet their volume is in the millions per sort. I don't get it.

7. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Heh, at an old job we were making a bid to the state of WV, we were in western PA. The bids had to be in like at a certain time (12 noon on XX date). So after we finished our proposal, we Fed Ex'd it.

Big Mistake. It went to Memphis, where there was a major ice and snow storm, while all was calm and dry in western PA and WV. The planes couldn't take off, no packages got delivered and we were late. We could have just driven down and delivered the damn thing the day before. Fortunately this happened to ALL the bidders, so they waived the due date.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    "I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"

9. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Lemme guess....1994?

10. My new Lakland 55-94 from TPB is sitting at fedex in Tenn. Hopefully they put it on a truck soon!

11. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    As is my LG3005 since 1:00AM this morning. I'm sure the tracking site runs on a delay, so it's probably already on a jet to Austin so it'll be ready for delivery tomorrow. Man, can I just meet them at the airfield??

I should have requested overnight!

12. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    That would be CORRECT!

13. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    There was also a big ice storm just a couple of months ago in Memphis.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I sold a set of Subaru shop manuals on eBay to a guy up in Washington state. From southern California to Washington shouldn't take too long even via USPS Media Mail, right?

Well, this box went from California to Florida, spent a couple days there, and then went on to the northwest corner of the lower 48. It took nearly two weeks. Why it routed through Florida is a mystery.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't forget the USPS!

I'm waiting on a package from Connecticut. I live in Illinois. I could drive there and back in 2 days easily. It's been a week so far. I just wonder why I can send a letter and have it there in 3, but to send a box it takes almost 3 times as long...

16. Ullery

Ullery

May 12, 2014
    It was worse here. The delivery was from Lebanon OH to Cincinnati OH. The package went from Lebanon to Cincinnati (done right?) . . . to Syracuse, New York after passing through Grove City, Buffalo and Groveport and now on its way back to Cincinnati it appears. Set off working on my boat for another week.

17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Sent a bass from MD to CA. It took a slight detour through Frankfurt, Germany, but it arrived on time.

18. I drive for a large freight company, depends on the terminal locations, some times a local pickup or delivery may travel a hundred miles the opposite way only to get sorted with all the other freight headed for the same destination and then go 5 hours the other way. Most carriers rail freight too , it's way cheaper, So if your tracking your package and there isn't a update for a few days, it's probably on the train. I've noticed fed ex shipping more on the train lately. Some times things just end up on the wrong truck too!

19. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester Supporting Member

UPS sits on things for a while so they don't deliver early. It's amazing to me that they would do that, but if you watch the tracking, they seem to do that. FedEX and USPS deliver as soon as they can, but if you don't pay UPS to deliver in three days, it's going to take a week even if it's a short hop. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it sure seems like somethings up with that. They want you to pay extra, and if you don't, they make sure it's slower.

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They're all wacky. USPS once sent something from New Jersey, to Georgia, to New York. I suppose that particular set of strings wanted to take a trip down and up the East coast before coming to my house.