1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FedEx lost my bass. Help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sublimate, May 2, 2006.

1. *** Update next page ***

So it seems that FedEx has lost the bass I just bought. :crying: :crying:

It was scheduled to be here last Thursday, but never came. According to the tracking (attached) it reached the major distribution near me (Orlando) and then left to come to the local location, but never arrived.

I called yesterday and the guy I talked to was very apologetic and said he'd put a trace on it and get back to me in 24 hours. But then no call. So I called today and the woman I talked to was very unhelpful. She said the only thing I could do is talk to the sender and have them submit a claim. :( That sucks because I really wanted this bass. :crying:

I asked her if it was lost and she said "We won't know until it turns up at the Ocala office." We'll if it's lost it won't turn up, will it?

And how do they lose a 30lb. box the size of a bass? Did someone steal it? Did it fall out of the back of a truck on the highway? :bawl: :bawl:

I'm dying here.

Attached Files:

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Working with FedEx in the past I know that worst case scenario is that you'll get the insured amount back (hopefully it was insured)

3. Yeah, I know I'll get my money back. But I want the bass, not the money. :(

It's a 1967 Ampeg fretless scroll bass. :( :(

4. Oh, man!,

Time will heal

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Oh damn.

They never seem to lose basses that can be replaced easily.

Well, if you get the money back, I'll keep my eyes open on a scroll for you.

6. Ouch..

I hope it turns out for the best. Keep trying.

7. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Man, what a drag :crying: :eek:

Not your typical garden-variety bass, that's for sure .... I hope it's located quickly and in safe/sound condition .... :help:

edit: Did you try to go to the local FedEx terminal and speak to the terminal manager? If you can get a chance to talk to him/her in person, they are usually pretty helpful .....

8. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Hold on it still may be in the system. ground shipments don't update as quickly. I went through this package showed up on the seventh day. However I use UPS now, but in my case the same day it went out for delivery I had checked and it looked like your tracking. A few hours later it said "Delivered" hope this is the case for you.

9. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I stay away from FedEx every chance I get.

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

I have a feeling that it probably isnt lost, i can understand letters falling off a conveyer belt and getting stuck somewhere where nobody can see, but for something that big, it would probably make a noticeable noise if it fell off the back of a truck.

So hang tight, it might still be on its way

11. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Man, I had something similar happen to me with Fedex. It turns out that the item was still in the delivery van and the driver kept overlooking it. :eyebrow:
    For a whole week he missed my package!!:eek: :rollno:

End the end it all worked out I got my package and a free delivery from anywhere in the US from Fedex.

Note: Of cousre I did not use them again, but thats another story.:scowl:

12. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yes, hang tight, it may show up since strange things happen. I was waiting on a bass once that was sent to the wrong city due to the FedEx scanners misreading my zip code. It would arrive in my city, but then immediately was put onto another truck that was heading for the city that they thought it was supposed to go to. The bass made two trips to North Carolina before I was able to head it off.

13. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The single most common cause of packages getting 'lost' and/or incorrectly routed is labels that come off somewhere in the shipping process. Either your label comes off and sticks to another package, or someone else's label comes off and sticks to your package. I had that happen on a bass I shipped just last week (a Curbow Petite fretless). That's why I highly recommend including copies of the 'To' and 'From' shipping information inside the case, and one or two copies inside the box. If a package shows up as 'lost', they will open the box to look for delivery information. You can also write the address outside the box.

Also, be sure to tear off all the old shipping labels and completely black out any old addresses. Think of the shipping process as about 95% automated with bar code readers reading labels and boxes moving down belts and slides and chutes. The average package is probably touched less than one minute by human hands.

My experience with FedEx Ground is that in most cases the tracking info updates very quickly when it's delivered. By that, if it's still showing undelivered it probably hasn't been dropped off at the wrong address (that was my most common problem with UPS at my old house).

The next time you talk to a customer service agent, try to find out if the box was loaded on a delivery truck or not. It sounds like it made it to the station - but you can never be 100% sure (like if the label came off and was actually on another box - that makes it harder when they're looking for a 'bass-size box'. Also, if it was loaded on a truck - make sure they ask the driver if they saw the box (and the sooner the better for memory recall).

Talk to the shipper and try to get a detailed description of the box if possible. Get the dimensions, see if it had any brand names or other distinguishing marks and features. This will help the local station find it, and if you end up talking with Overgoods (where lost packages go) they will want that info also.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't get too worried, most of these turn out OK.

14. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    FedEX is good at retrieving lost items.. UPS SUCKS at it. But FedEX finds it alot of times.. I hope everything works out. My Prayers are with you :(.

15. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Yo man you need me to come over there and regulate? Man that is some F.U.S I got my gat, just say the word. Just messing with you Bro, but that really is some F.U.S I hope you get your bass, I have not seen one of those in years. Good luck

16. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    I had a problem back in '04 with that same Orlando Terminal. My bass was out for delivery on Dec. 6. Each day I would call and they said it was out for delivery that day. I even went there one evening when they told me on the phone it was there in the office. After the 25 mile drive, I stood there for over 1 hour and then I got the question, "Who did you talk to?":mad: :mad: So they said we can't find it. We will call you tomorrow. After all this crap, I called the Corp. office and talked to a bigwig. Had it delivered that day, Dec. 20. They had it delivered by a private company.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I recommend avoiding DHL as well. A fellow TBer and I are currently busting our butts trying to get them to pay on a claim for a bass they damaged. They denied the claim (I insured it), saying that they didn't feel it was packed properly (it WAS packed very well) and we're trying to appeal it. They are terrible.

18. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Even though you want the bass, you are better off if they lose it than if it arrived broken. At least if they lose it, they cannot claim it was poorly packed, etc.

Jim

19. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had the same thing happen with UPS. They lost my Alembic (talk about a high ticket item). It should have been delievered to me in Reno......

But they found it a week later in Oakland CA! At least it was in one piece when I finally did get it!!

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, Ampeg Scroll: nice.
    It's been my experience with Fedex Ground that thier webtracking sucks. I've had stuff *delivered* before it showed on tracking.
    "Fingers crossed for you man!"