FedEx Mishap

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jul 27, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have not lost anything from FedEx, but I was reading AJ's thread in basses about his Sadowsky being delivered to the wrong address. Rather than hijack his thread, I'll ask it here.

What happens if FedEx goes to the home to reclaim the errantly delivered package, and the person claims no knowledge of the package? Will FedEx pursue it through the authorities? Would FedEx have to replace the item if insurance was purchased?

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bump, i'm curious....someone here has to have some insight on this...

3. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I'm into car audio, and I read the forums at . If you do a search there you'll find hundreds of shipping mishaps. From what I've heard, it can be any number of results. Depending on the specific shipper, person, and package, you can get it back through legal police action or the person can have it and you can't do anything about it. Fedex sometimes pursues it and sometimes says that even though they delivered it wrong, you had to have insurance. And... if you did have it, they'd just pay for it or sometimes just pay part of it. So, no real definitive answer to what happens as far as I've seen. The best thing is to report it to the police.
  4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I dont know either, but it seems if it's their mistake- they should be held responsible.

My buddy ordered a mac laptop direct from apple. Fedex delivered the computer. They left it on the sidewalk outside his business at 8am. A big box that screams steal me (complete with full color photo of the laptop on it). No delivery attempt notice. The did not attempt to leave it with the buisness next door. The good news is: Luckily his friend was driving by and saw it. He grabbed it for him, so no one would steal it. But when he called fedex, the reported that a person named M. Glass signed for the package. Which is a lie- theres no such person, he concluded that the fedex dude forged the sig and tried to come up with something similar to the his name. He filed a report w/ Apple & Fedex, they said they would do a complete investigation...nothing ever happened. Bummer, but at least he got his computer.

Thats just rediculous though. Who leaves a brand new computer on a busy street sidewalk?
  5. A dick. I use USPS every time. Nothing but great results.
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    At least the guy didn't forge the signature and then keep the Mac.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    From the comments so far, it looks like FedEx handles each situation differently. That makes sense. I could see them simply reimbursing someone for a misdelivered $12 SpongeBob DVD, but pursuing it more dilligently with a misdelivered $3000 bass.

I wonder how they approach a situation where they go to the house the item was accidentally delivered to, and the person at the house claims no knowledge of the package. I suppose the tracking info would be enough proof that it was there, and then they call the local police? Couldn't the person then say that maybe it was ripped off from the porch?