FedEx will no longer insure "musical instruments" over $500

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by remo, Feb 9, 2006.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I just read this over at gearslutz.. is it true? :confused:
  2. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I recently shipped one via FedEx with $3k of coverage.
  3. Doubtful. They would lose a lot of business that way.

Rock on
  4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Highly doubtfull...I'm sure if you're willing to pay for the insurance for whatever price, they're willing to take your money...Plus I doubt that "gearslutz" is a very reliable source...
  5. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Wouldn't FedEx be the folks to ask? :)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Smells like urban legend to me.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It dosent make sense to me. Paging Nino !
  8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    considering what those doofi did to my 1st schroeder cabinet & one of Jorg's basses recently, it doesn't surprise me. I still doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me either.
  9. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

As stated in the FedEx Service guide sitting in front of me.

The short of it...."shipments containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value for carriage of $500 US per shipment or$9.07 per pound, whichever is greater."

"Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old, and customized or personalized musical intstruments."

10. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    So the lesson here is: If you're shipping a pre-1985 or custom bass, load the box down with lead weights. :p

Doesn't seem to apply to new stock instruments, Schroeder cabs, etc...

Out of curiosity, Rumzini, what's the date on that document?

11. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Interesting language with "customized". Would that not count a high-end bass with limited choices? Would a 2nd hand custom bass be a customized musical instrument? What about my beefed up mexi-jazz?
  12. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I didn't check the date on the Service Guide...however. I had to take it out of one of the many boxes we just got in of them. I'm figuring it's the most current and hasn't been distributed to us couriers yet.

I asked one of our custome service agent about it who told me it's because certain people were claiming that whatever it may have been broken, damaged, etc...was a one off or modified, peice of whatever and claiming high dollar on it. Not sure if I agree with the way they handled it in the service guide. My first thought is this. My Lakland 55-01 cost me $ I'm covered, but anything over that I'm not. That sucks. Granted the 55-01 is a good bass, but...what if one day I want something nicer, costs more? Just cuz I work for'em dosn't mean I like a lot of things they do.

BTW...this was supposed to be something temporary...6 years later.
  13. Maverick Blues

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    That wouldn't seem to be the case, to me. A 55-01 isn't a custom instrument, right? It's listed in their catalog and available for purchase. Therefore the $500 limit wouldn't apply?

Or am I missing something? (Other than my sanity, I mean... haven't seen that in years...)

14. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ah...that is true...if it's stock you're ok. So...since I've sanded the paint off of the top and back of's now customized. So if I get some new Basslines then it's over the $500 mark and customized.
  15. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'm pretty sure that the term 'customized' doesn't apply to extra factory options or a Badass Bridge. As I read it, almost ANY bass from the last 20 years is still coverable for any value. Maybe wishbasses qualify as customized :/