1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fedora VS Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm looking at the new fedora core 7 right now. Look nice.
    How is it "better" or different then Ubuntu or PClinux?

2. ape

ape

Jul 26, 2007
    Beaverton, OR
    As with any other Linux distribution, it comes down to really what you're comfortable with. Fedora (and every other Red Hat derivative) uses the BSD style init and uses the RPM package format (by default). Ubuntu (and other Debian based derivatives) use the SYSV style init and use the DEB package format (again, by default). For me, these are the two things that make me stick to Debian based distributions. The init style, just because I'm used to it and makes more sense in my eyes (personal preference) and the package format/manager as I have yet to see a better packaging system than apt/.deb format.

I don't think you can go wrong with either distribution, but try both out and see which one works better on your hardware and you feel most comfortable using on a daily basis.

--ape--

3. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    What?!?!?!?!?

Whenever guys start talking about Linux I SUDDENLY FEEL REALLY STUPID:eyebrow:

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you should try it!
    After a few days on it you will understand that post, no problem at all.

You might never go back to windows, that's the danger!

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Last time I tried fedora I think it was core 2 or core 3 and I didn't like it back then.
    I might just tried the new core 7 and see how I like it.
    It does look really nice!

6. Ub for home, suse for work, debian for web, there all pretty good.

7. Fodera vs Ubuntu???