1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fee-less transactions

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by parsons, May 27, 2012.

1. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    What is going on with all the FS threads lately where the sellers keep posting they want a paypal fee less transaction or the buyer to cover paypal fees? I feel people should get a warning for it if they aren't already. I hate the fees just like anyone else, but it's the rules, right?

2. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I agree.

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    The mods don't have the time or resources to monitor every ad. You can call it to their attention on a case by case basis by using the report button. It is the red triangle next to the post #.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly, it's in the rules that sellers cannot insist on it but the only way to enforce it would to make every classifieds post go through a mod queue which would cause other problems.

But please report any such posts and the classifieds mods will deal with it

5. Lacuga

Lacuga

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Connecticut
    I have paid PP fees and received payment with PP fees deducted. With that said, what is the problem with the seller asking that buyer pay fees? This means that the out-the-door price = Posted Price for the bass + Fees. I can see a problem with the seller insisting on a fee-less PP transaction (i.e., a gift payment) but I would have no problem paying the fees as a buyer if that was the deal that was struck. JMO.

6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Sellers can figure their sale price to include the cost of th ppal transaction and just stop the nonsense.
    Or go back to waiting 2 weeks for a check to clear.

7. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Sellers should probably just ask for a price with fee already included. Instead of asking for $1000, ask for $1030.

The protection offered by the fee outweighs the cost of the fee IMO.

8. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    The problem is most times you get beat up on the price. If your asking $3090 for a bass and you get offered $2800 and are willing to accept it, you get hit again with the pp fee.

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Well that's just it. You accepted the $2800. That means you got $2710 for the bass. Or you can provide a counter offer such as $2890. You can even split the fee, say $2845.

PP fees approximated for easy math.

10. Is 'insist' the same as 'request'? Can people 'request' or 'prefer' a fee-less transaction, as long as both parties agree to it and are aware of the lack of protection from PP?

11. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    Money orders are fast in the mail & cash instantly. I also had a buyer in Russia use western union. He payed in Russia in the am & I had my $ same day. I don't have a credit card or paypal. I use the fiat funny money called "dollars." I think with the variety of users on here there is a way, if the buyer & seller communicate well & follow through. Who pays the fees should be up to them. I have had nothing but good transactions on here.
    I asssume plenty of users won't buy from me when I list "No Paypal" in my ad.
    I will be soo happy when the digital herd realizes you can't eat currency any easier than you can eat 1's & 0's.
    The only constant in the universe is change.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    a seller either accepts paypal or they don't. If the buyer is ok with lack of protection, then we can't prevent that. But we will not get involved in any resulting dispute should the transaction go south.
    But a seller CANNOT say "I accept paypal ONLY if it's a personal payment". Buyer giving up their rights, and breaking paypal agreement, cannot be a condition of sale.

13. That's how I had been reading it, and IMHO it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

14. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Not true. There are many scams with fake money orders and cashier checks. You take them to the bank and they will cash them, but a few weeks later when they bounce you're held responsible. PayPal only for me and I only sell to people on TB that have a track record.

15. USPS Money Orders are scam proof if you take them to the US Post Office and cash them. I'll deal with any one on TB if they send one.

Paypal is horrible. No seller protection at all.

16. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    +1
    The Pal killed the Bay I once knew.

17. + 1/2. Sometimes the PO doesn't have the cash on hand to redeem them. It once took me 4 trips over a week to cash one for $800....But I love those Money Orders.

18. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    Wow what a pain. I have not experienced that. I have never had an issue with Western Union MO's either & 7-11 sells em.
    Wouldn't it be cool if we had a Federal institution that you could trust to protect your mail from tampering while in transit? oh wait.....

19. ...that wouldn't have it show up on your joint checking account statement... :bag:

20. Dostradamas

Dostradamas

Jun 7, 2011
    Indeed sir.
    Absolutely unacceptable!