feed back aboot light gauge strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brianmc, Jun 7, 2001.

1. brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    do you all have any advice aboot light guage strings? recent ly i have been playing these really light strings, like 85-32 they are full of tone and are fabulous to slap with. i just am not a big fan of 100-40 or so. tapping is a breeze and my slapping , though a little percussive, is full of tone (even more that i was getting with Labella slappers) and very springy.

2. :eek: .85 E string!?! Isn't that floppy as hell? Do you get a lot of fret buzz?
  3. :eek: my sentiments exactly... I'm surprised that it even is playable.
  4. I'd say if you like how they sound with a band then you're fine.

I was using a set with a .95 E and I just didn't feel I had enough presence in my band. With a .105 E my sound seems to sit much better.
  5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Damn dude, my A string is bigger than your E. 85????!!!???? I guess it's all a matter of what you like. I used some 90s once and the tone itself was fine. But it's not "full" enough for my taste. Also, heavier strings are always better for my playing style. I got 110s now and they rock.
  6. brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    1. lots of tone

2. if the e sounds a little thin i just give it an extra boost on my amp or 3 eq

3. yes, 85 is light.

4. the complete set is 85, 60, 40, 32 (i think its a 32, it might be 35)

5. they are really just the ADGC off of my 6, i was playing Labella slappers and i busted the d so i had to change the whole set and remembered claypool uses 80 80 40 40 which i have also played. the 80 80 40 40 is weird at first getting used to the change in the tightness.

6. i picked up "aboot" while talking to a canadian weezer fan named jane on napster.

7. seven

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to use 30/50/70/90's on my Peavey Foundation, when I was going for that Geddy Lee tone.

They were exposed core strings, and sounded surprisingly full for such light strings.

I would probably still have a set of them on that bass, but they became impossible to find.

I think that they were called Superwound Funkmasters. Made by James Howe(Rotosound).

Geddy used to use them, and Mark King used to endorse them.
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hmmm...one o' my favorite sets for my Rob Allen
    is the T/I AB344's (41-53-68-86). AND they're
    all wound on a nylon core. Yup. They's definitely
    "pliable" :D . On the other hand, I'll switch between
    those and Roto 88-LD tapes (.115 E). Reminds me
    there's a lot to be said for "touch" :) .
  9. Well as with notduane, I like the T/Is on my Martin Acoustic, but then again, those are as tight as mediums are on my regular electric....