Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feed my ego or cut me down a few notches

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stachio, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Here's little metal I put together. I'm not exactly a prodigy, so I will say that it took me a couple of months to write this, program drums, attempt to lay down consistant guitar work, and slop through some bass.
    I could give more excuses, but frankly, I don't think it's that bad. A few minor mishaps happened on the first song which made the bass slightly off synch.

Here it is...

Oh right...and the constructive criticism thing is good.

2. i like "dim eyes of dmitri" best. it actually sounds pretty professional, like i could see it on headbanger's ball or something.

yeah, after i went to a soil concert and they had a few opening acts that sounded like that. i have a newfound respect (especially for the drummers!)

other song was ok

Charlie

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The only real problem is that is kind of meanders. This, however, I attribute soley to the lack of vocals. If you had vocals to anchor the whole ship, you'd have a great song there.

And if you make the 2nd movement Opeth weenie metal, I hunt you down and remove your metal badge and revoek your club membership.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pretty Cool, just don't add any crappy "grunt/scream" vocals. That would ruin it in my opinion.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You are aware he made a metal song, correct?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Oh man! Just when you and I were on the road to recover you go and call Opeth "weenie metal". I can no longer recognize you as a man. :( ;)

Stachio, first song kicks serious ass! I don't think the bass is too loud, but then again I like bass loud. Vocals would be cool , growling or not.

The second song is damn cool as well. I like the choppy start, the bass may actually be a tad loud, but not much. (listening to it all through Sennheiser hd 280 pros). If you changed the tone to gain more meat you could turn the volume down and retain clarity IMO. I thought of evil Chuck a few times during this track, which is a good thing. Good work!

7. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I try to avoid the meandering by avoiding the typical song structure and straying from repeating myself too much, but I guess that is hard to do while keeping vocals in mind. Any particular moments which were too repetitive?

I also think that if I actually find willing musicians in my area *sigh*, I could get some different and less repetitive riffs and overall feel.

The 2nd movement is going to be straight weenie metal! Have you been reading my diary?

Are there other type of vocals :D ?
    And actually, if anybody wishes to add lyrics to them, please do.

Thanks for the comments guys.

8. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks Bliss. Having heard your stuff that means a lot. The second song was recorded in a way which added a bit more trebble (mic'ed bass amp through guitar amp to get enough gain). Good advice though.
    I may be chastised, but who's evil Chuck?

Also....cough...I also like Opeth. :D

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I can add hella lyrics for you. Ask Ben Strange, or any numer of unfortunate crazies I've show my lyrics to. You might be one of them, come to think of it.

If not, rest assured, I can write hella lyrics for you.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh Man! Just when you and I were on the road to recover, you go and like Opeth. I can no longer recognize you as a man.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Evil Chuck was the founder/writer for one of my favorite bands ever, Death.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    HELLO! there was a smilie after my post. Take it easy sister. :)

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was aware you were making a joke.
    I was making one as well.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK good, I get confused without smilies to guide me.

15. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Ah...Chuck Schuldiner. I love Death (that sentence shouldn't be quoted out of context). I'd say they were a big influence on me. During the part of the writing process for the second song I went into a heavy Death phase.

Brendan - Bring on the lyrics, bring on the funk. I'd love to hear what you can muster.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's my burden.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have you seen what I do, or are you a virgin?

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

I'd like to see what you do! I think....

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  20. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I am not a huge metal head, but I can think of some examples of metal bands with "singers" who sing in their real voice and don't just grunt an octave below what their normal voice is.