1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feed My Happy Daydream

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I'm going to get the smallest bedroom in my house for a music room! This will be in couple years, but still I can't help but plan it out.

What does every music room need? I'll be able to give the closet back to my shoes! And kinda have a climate control area for my basses!

It won't be big enough to jam in with people, but it could hold a double bass...

ideas?

2. Knock out a wall and make it big enough to jam in.

lowsound

3. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Move your bed in it and use the biggest bedroom in the house as a music room.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    hehe. i'll +1 this :p:p

5. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Lol, you THINK its yours, i got one and the first thing that happened, every darn thing anyone disnt want in any other room was lost in mine, i can barely squeeze a bass in there.

6. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Man i just realized i poured cold water all over your daydream, my apologies, IT WILL BE AWESOME!!!!!!

7. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Funny thing, my parents are moving out and I might get a roommate but for the most part the house will be all mine!

That said, all my clothes won't fit in the smallest bedroom (I'm a chick btw) plus the smallest room will be the cheapest/easiest to climate control. Plus I'm a proud card carrying member of the Lone Wolf Club. :smug:

8. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Sorry remember you now as the "stepfather" op, not to cross threads but how did that turn out for yall.?

9. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Eh, me and him are doing good, had a slight blow up when he joked about canceling a trip to the UK me and mom have been planning for a year and I missed the joke part and flipped out.

We chatted and we're all good now, if fact my mom is kinda overreacting about stuff, like me being excited about them moving out (thus this post) and forgetting to do the dishes the one day in ever that he comes home before we do.

Also I've been playing around with the idea of getting a cheapo Bronco and modding it (something I know nothing about) but he is a carpenter who has a sodding gun (you need that right?) so I see some bass modding bonding in our future.

10. Soundproof the hell out of the room. Then you can play at crazy volumes whenever you like. You want every bass note to smack you in the chest - then you know it's loud enough. Don't worry about all this hearing loss nonsense, that's for cowards. Excessive volume can never be bad!

11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Every music room needs a fridge and a microwave.

12. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    And canned applause for the solos youll be ripping! (Glad to hear things are going good, just keep the communication lines open to both, all will be well)

13. For me this is an entirely contradictory statement. My music room(approx 12'x12')has a drumset, upright piano, 3 elec keyboards, two good-sized pedalboards and several amps- all plugged in and accessible. It's tight but there is just enough room to fit 3 players of the various crap arrayed. My DB is in another room- more due to the more stable environment- but I can squeeze it in for a jam if necessary.

After playing in a room this small, you will really appreciate having decent space to work with. :cool:

14. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Haha...yup!

Other than that, for me I like to have carpet, a desk, keyboard, something to record with, and a few comfy places a to sit. And if it's a music room it can't hurt to have a few framed pictures of your favorite bands/musicians up on the wall.

15. You're gonna have a blast with a dedicated practice room, regardless of the size.

It was really only about the time when my wife and I were planning to build our new house that I realized, "Hey, I can grab a room for myself." That's one thing that re-fueled my desired to play bass again, after a very long absence from music. Before that, it was sort of awkward to practice inside the house re: noise issues, etc. But we built a little soundproofing into my new room, which sort of solves that problem.

You might want to look into the guitar hangers to hang your basses on the wall. It looks cool and saves a bunch of floor space. Just put your bass cases/gigbags inside a closet or something.

I'm planning to hang mine but haven't done so yet. I sort of have a unique quality to my room that doesn't let me use anything store bought. I have to come up with another solution.

16. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Strong PC (lotsa ram) with high end sound card and appropriate recording software. Quality reference monitors. Decent headphone amp. Decent studio quality headphones + a few pairs of reference headphones or earbuds.

Then add basses & amps to taste, shaken not stirred. Let simmer untill golden brown and serve HOT! :bassist:

17. A mini fridge packed with beer!

Bass hangers for the walls, also spare ones for cables.

Drum machine and various amps.

18. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    You made me measure my to be music room and it's only 9'X10' (not including the closet).

19. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Sounds like you need to move a wall or something.

20. You can do it. I believe. :)