Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feed my P bass GAS!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jan 29, 2006.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Okay, it's official, I have to have a Precision bass. :hyper:

I've been wanting to add something to the collection (three Jazzes, a Ric, an SR4 and a Status S2) and lately, prompted by comments on here, I've really been getting into the Jazz with flats, neck pickup only sound and feel. So, what's the obvious omission from my family? Gotta be a P bass. I also like, just by way of a change, the chunkier necks of my Ray and Ric (whilst still loving the Js), and I don't have a great bass with a maple board (only a cheapo Stagg SR4 copy I occasionally use when I don't want to leave a decent bass unattended in the car all day).

If I see something I really like up for grabs I'll go for it, but I'm thinking more in terms of a project bass. At the moment then, these factors are pretty much fixed:

1) Traditional P bass body
    2) P neck with maple board (and maybe ultralite tuners?)
    3) A single P pickup (don't really fancy a PJ, I've got my bridge pickup bases covered with my Js and I want to keep the new bass pretty simple). I'm thinking Nordstrand for the pickup at the moment as I love the Nordies I have on the one Jazz bass. Anybody digging the Nordstrand 4 string P pickup out there? Should I bother with a push/pull series/parallel switch?
    4) Passive, 4 string.
    5) Badass II bridge (I have these on all my J basses, I just love the solidity and simplicity).
    6) Flats! You just wouldn't believe how weird it feels for me to say that.

I don't think this is going to end up as my main bass, it's just kind of filling in a gap in the collection.

Now, the main question... what about the looks of this thing? I'm open to suggestions for body colour, pickguard, hardware, etc. Pics would be great if you need an excuse to post your Ps again! I just want to get some drool flowing to help me obsess some more over this one. :D I'll make sure I keep y'all updated on how it turns out.

Bill

2. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    With your criteria (other than price), and assuming that P neck means a 1.75 nut width is o.k., a Lakland Bob Glaub (Skyline or U.S.) would fit the bill. It's available with maple board, the Fralin pickup is similar to a Nordstrand (from what I've read here anyway; I've only played the Fralin), and the Lakland bridge is more massive than a Fender. A Lull might be a good option too, but I don't know about the bridges. Both come up on eBay every so often.

Otherwise, with your desire for Nordstrand and Badass II bridge, having Nino Valenti build one might be the best bet. Taking those out of the mix, a Fender American Vintage series '57 reissue would be another good choice for a vintage syle maple fretboard P. They sound fantastic.

4. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks Nedmundo, I had a quick look on evilbay UK earlier (as I do fairly regularly) and there wasn't anything that really grabbed me. I appreciate the Lakland and Lull suggestions, and I've seen some GREAT basses by Nino on TB, but I actually like putting my own together, I'm really pleased with the two jazz basses I've done to date. I'm quite interested in your '57 RI option though, I'll check it out.

Incidentally, just found davidmwilson's soundclip of the Nordstrand NP4 pickup here...

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/99b7af0...d+NP4+-+Raven+Labs+PBR-1.zip?BCqaN3DBO6atCM3N

Sounds pretty good to me, classic sort of P with roundwounds sound. I reckon something along those lines would be killer with some flats, though :D

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How about going "older school" (if there is such a term) and getting a Fender Sting bass? Delicious neck, wonderful tone, cool looks...

Some folks whine about Sting's signature at the 12th fret, but considering the fact that "there's no money above the 5th fret" ;) you wouldn't be looking at the 12th anyway.:D

However, if a split pickup P is more fitting for you (and I can't argue there...I love P basses), I've heard great tones coming out of the Fralin P Bass pickup too!!! Even a modest MIM P bass sounds great with a Fralin pickup.

6. Just have a look on ebay - I managed to get myself a nice P from a mate at work for 60 quid (about $150) - ok, it may only be a Squier - but its pretty good anyway (and hell - for 60 quid you can't argue can ya...?) - if you need one then I reckon you should have a look for a mexican or an SX, if you actually go around shops playing some then don't rule Squiers out...mine's pretty nice, but there again I don't really know squiers so I may have been lucky...:bassist: :cool:

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    here's a pic of my "new to me" P I bought about a month ago.....so far I'm really loving this thing. It sounds awesome with the rock band I play in! such a perfect fit in the mix

[​IMG]

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Squier. One of the best basses i've ever played.

-Mark

9. man...I want that pickguard SO BAD!

10. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Cosmetically, my personal favorite is black with three-ply black/white/black pickguard. This is gorgeous with a maple board. Even my dad, who ignored the whole electric music thing back in the 50's and 60's, flipped when he saw mine. Black and maple look great with a tortoiseshell or gold adonized guard too.

I don't know how much you want to do yourself for a project, but if the '57 R.I. is interesting, you could start with the Mexican version, the Classic '50's P-bass, and add the bridge, lightweight tuners, and Nordstrand. I've played one, and it's an excellent basic P.

I've heard David Wilson's Nordstrand clip too, and that's a perfect P-bass sound in my book. Of course the player helps in that department!

11. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Here's mine, back when it had a DiMarzio Model P:

Attached Files:

12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Mark, that's really handsome and has changed my opinion of matching a black body with a rosewood fingerboard!

13. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    My Squier:

[​IMG]

Pickup cover coming next week.

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario

Hey hey! Quit raggin on my bass!
    ;)
    Just kidding, looks great with the natural!

Thanks alot! I appreciate it. Glad I could help haha
    -Mark

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just get a Skyline Glaub and string it with TI Jazz Flats. Do it now!!! Don't give me none of your jibba jabba.

;)

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003

17. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Just finished this "Geddy P" about two weeks ago (OK, it's missing the string tee - but it'll be there as soon as my order comes in)

[​IMG]

It's really the best of both worlds - a P body with a J neck ... and a Raven Labs PBR-1 pre-amp to boot.

All the best,

R

18. Hey Mark, was it you that was considering throwing a Preamp on your bass? I may be mistaken, but for some reason I think I read one of your posts about wanting to throw a preamp on there. If it was you have you done it yet? Because that bass is SEXY, and it would make sense to further upgrade its sound.

19. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    My new mia Fender P

Attached Files:

20. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yep! this is the one. I don't have a pre-amp yet, and I still need to get the battery rear routed. But, I will soon!

Thanks!

-Mark