Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feed yer unborn with groove!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    According to this news article, it seems that if you want your child become a good musician, you could start the lessons before he gets spoiled by any high frequencies.. :p

"Now, scientists at the University of Florida have added a piece to the puzzle. In a series of unique experiments on a pregnant ewe designed to record exactly what sounds reach the fetal ear, UF research has bolstered previous findings suggesting that human fetuses likely hear mostly low-frequency rather than high-frequency sounds."

So what would we start with then? Disco Inferno, perhaps? Some Jamerson? Best of Rocco's lines? :smug:

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Interesting stuff. I think I've heard about that before. If you tried hard you could probably have a mean groove machine at 1 month old. :D

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The thread title sounds like the greatest name for a funk album EVER!! :D

4. LOL :D and truth!

Thanks Tsal, I'd like to pick up that paper when it's out. I work as a psycholinguistics researcher, so I'm putting in my two cents: Cain't hurt.

Don't panic if she gets irritated and won't let you play to her belly, though: With language at least, there's not any evidence that babies who get read to or talked to in the womb (even with a speaker IN the woman's body) have any special linguistic advantages over babies whose parents aren't Mozart Effect psycho yuppies -- er, who aren't specifically read or talked to until after birth. It probably goes the same way for music too. So your kids won't be set back any compared to anyone else's if you don't play to them before they're born. You can start after they're born too and get all the same potential benefits. Your odds are best if you start before they're 9 months old.

However, babies are pretty likely to remember anything they heard often enough in the womb -- so if you do play to your feti, they'll probably really like the sound of certain basslines and you might be able to groove your kids to sleep. :cool:

I'll cut the dork rant here, but anyone who wants more info feel free to PM or e-mail me.