Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

feedback destroyer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tez, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Tez

Tez

Jan 24, 2004
    Australia
    Hi all I bought a Beringer Feed back destroyer for my PA allthough it comes with a manual which I have read , and have tried the auto setting whilst I can hear it grab the feed back as I raise the volume level . it doesnot seem to keep it from comming back. has anyone much experience with these things . and can help me out in IDIOT SPEAK as I dont allways understand things if they get too tech
    Thanks Tez

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I gave up on the cheapo Behringer unit. It simply did not do what it was supposed to do. Now I am waiting to try the same unit in the JBL Driverack PA.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been using a dbx iEQ31 which has twelve filters per channel. In that unit, you can set it so six of them are "fixed" and six are "roamers." When you first power the unit up and bring the volume up to get feedback, the six fixed filters latch on to each major offending frequency, and stay put. The other six roam around looking for strays and zap them as needed. The fixed filters can be set to re-check their frequency every ten minutes or every hour. The filters' bandwidths can be set to a fifth, a twentieth or an eightieth of an octave. I've found that the narrowest bandwidth (80th) is most effective.

Anyway, does the B******** unit have any fixed filters? I found it is best to go ahead and set the dbx half-and-half, and it seems to work pretty well. It took me two gigs plus a set to figure it all out. Also, I spent some quality time with the manual. The main thing is, I doubt that any unit can completely eliminate feedback without some serious sonic degradation.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Moved To Misc........

These a re relatively new inventions so it will be a while before an industry standard format is developed like say, compressors, which aren't that different from brand to brand. Of the ones I've played with, I've found that the more "roaming" frequencies, the better. But I've also found the end result with these units isn't any better than a properly tuned foldback via a 31band EQ.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    They are not perfect. If you can hear it grabbing feedback then you've got it working right. You can't expect it to completely "destroy" feedback like the name says. They will only give you about 6 db more gain before feedback on problem frequencies, this is a good thing, but it's not complete feedback elimination. It's still your job to tune the PA so you don't exceed those extra 6 db on those frequencies.

6. We use a Behringer and we have it working pretty well. I noticed that it can take anywhere from about 3 seconds to 5 minutes to "settle in", and changes in the room will force it to start seeking again. Our biggest issue is with vocalists who move around the microphone too much. Also I noticed that people walking around the room near the PA can force it to re-seek, but I am satisfied with it's price/performance ratio.

addendum - Pete Bass is right about a properly tuned 1/3 octave EQ providing equal or better results - essentially that's what this FB "Destroyer" is but for us it's cool 'cause it sets itself, rather than having to rely on someone sitting at the thing and testing the results of his/her tweaks. Don't know about the rest of you but I don't like to put my faith in the house sound-man unless I aleady know him/her before hand. I findthat I often know MORE about live sound than the guy at the board!

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's right, and that's why I went with the iEQ31 ... it's also a stereo 31-band GEQ. It looks like it's analog, but it's digital. I was a little worried about losing sound quality with the A/D - D/A conversion, but it sounds fine to me.
    [​IMG]

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm using a digital 15 band EQ pedal on my bass rig (Boss Advanced EQ-20. I can store and recall 10 different EQ settings). I was worried about that conversion too but it wasn't an issue. Actually it sounds very good.

9. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    We have one of these in our practice room. The room is pretty small and oddly shaped with smooth walls, floor & ceiling. The Behringer helped a lot, but like you discovered, it will not "destroy" all feedback. I read the manual cover to cover. It seemed pretty technical to me, but I don't claim to be a sound engineer. I'm JUST the bass player :rolleyes: We also noticed behavior as others have stated re rescanning. For what we paid for it, we as fairly satisfied with the results.

10. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    Feedback destroyers should be seen as in addition to an EQ rather than instead of. I don't know about the Behringer you have, but the Ultra-curve (2496) I've worked with lets me setup each filter as either off, auto, or fixed, so I suspect yours will do the same. If you really want good gain before feedback and quality of sound, you can't beat a well EQ'd system, the feedback destroyer is for catching anything that makes it through your EQ.