Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feedback Destroyer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sutton, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Does this work with Bass racks? and if so, how well? It seems like an interesting idea, but I want to know if its worth it before I go out and get one

2. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    My personal experience is that feedback destroyers don't work well with bass at all. My church used to have to run the bass through our monitors because nobody had an amp (or at least not one that they were willing to bring) and in the processing chain for the monitors was a FBD. A little while after we had installed the FBD and some other new equipment, I started getting complaints from the bassists that they couldn't hear themselves so we tried putting them in a different channel on the board. This reduced the complaints, but didn't really solve the problem. When I was playing, I found that I would occasionally hear my nice clear tone suddenly drop significantly in volume...very strange. Anyway, one morning between services I was looking at the FBD and realized that there were a lot of big filters set on low frequencies and the lightbulb came on. That nice clean sine-wave looking sound coming from our basses was getting picked up by the FBD as feedback and as a result filtered out. Turned of the FBD for the channel that had the bass in it and the problem was solved.

Moral of the story...bass notes look like feedback.

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    yeah, ok, thanks for saving me money. :)

4. Angry Jonny

Angry Jonny

Aug 20, 2004
    No problem...what were you hoping to gain with it anyway?

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    just hopefully get rid of some amp buzz at high volumes

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Do you have any idea what the buzz is comming from?

FBD's generally don't help with that. There are some products that cancell hum and buzz and you run in your line out to the board.

We use one I thinks it's called a Buzz Buster or something like that and it cancells hum in our house speakers caused by our lights and our powerpoint computer.