1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feedback Expiry

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Michael Vee, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Can Talkbass add a feedback expiration age? (Edit: past a certain time back, old feedbacks disappear, say Mar. 10, 2003)

On eBay, there is a time limit on feedback. Not sure at the time of this posting, but I think it is five years.

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Do you mean a time limit after which feedback cannot be issued (for example giving someone feedback for a transaction that happened last year), or a time limit after which feedback 'disappears' from your profile?

3. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The latter, I would think.

I'll check on eBay and see how it works there, and post back here.

4. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I don't think Ebay expires feedback in this way... I wish they did, I have one negative mark from 1999 that screws up my perfect record :)

5. +1

Same situation, single neg feedback from many moons ago.

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Paul,I just got my first negative feedback from a deal I had to back out on that happend back in March.He claims that I strung him along for 2 weeks then backed out.I don't leave people hanging,because I've had it done to me.But I didn't leave them negative feedback either.My backing out of the transaction didn't cost him a single penny.He could have brought this to my attention sooner,but he chose this route.It looks like he's just taking his frustration out on me.And why did he wait 2 months? Please look at my feedback,what he wrote,and my response,and tell me if there anything that can be done.Thanks. 73Jbass.

7. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    73, I'm in the same boat. I have one neg here on TB that was completely crazy, and as a supporting member, with 100% otherwise, I would love to get that thing outta here.

8. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Paul, I don't think this was ever resolved.

9. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Bump for more comment from Paul. Talkbass should have a five year feedback expiry limit. I think it'd be more useful to see feedback a TB member has been given in the past, say, five years instead of further back. Comments, all?

10. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Bump for comment from Paul or another admin/mod.

11. anonymous122511

anonymous122511 Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    Be nice if the only mod of this particular forum accepted PMs so you could report this kinda spam to him. :rollno:

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Use the red triangle to report problem posts. That way *all* mods of the forum in question forum get the report

13. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've been in contact with another TB'er who has a single negative feedback in the midst of all kinds of positives. He may post here also.

I'd like to continue the discussion of some kind of feedback expiry age, and I may also start another thread dealing with the concept of a negative feedback appeal process.

As it stands, we sellers on Talkbass are all vulnerable to a crank buyer or a seller leaving unreasonable negative feedback. It'd be nice to be able to get such removed under due process from TB admins.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hi,
    from what I see, there's no way to expire feedback with the feedback system we are using with vBulletin.

I think, realistically, people will look at the 1 feedback and see it was a long time ago and discount it among all the other positives you have.

15. If feedback expires, that could also skew results unfavorably.

For example: You have nothing but positives for two years. But your feedback expires after 6 months. There goes a lot of your POSITIVE marks. And then you receive a recent negative, and your overall percentage rating drops more dramatically than if you had retained all those positives that had expired.

I agree with David, most buyers will look not only at the negative feedback, but also the frequency and from how long ago they occured.