1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feedback for fretless exercise

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassChuck, Feb 28, 2013.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I've been working on some exercises for improving intonation on fretless bass. What I've got is a collection of chorale harmonizations of all major and minor scales. If you are interested in trying out these exercises, and giving me some feedback on how to improve them, send me a IM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF and a mp3.

Thanks for your time.

chuck

2. justjazz

justjazz

Jul 28, 2012
    Greetings from Philadelphia!

I'd love to take a look at your fretless exercises.
    Is there any particular type of feedback that you'd prefer? Just let me know.

Be ye well,
    B.

e-mail: mizzenmast@usa.com

3. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member

I a pretty new to fretless. I have been working against open strings for reference. Like sliding to the E on the A string adn then playing the open E and making sure I am hitting it right on. I have also been playing major and minor scales while droning against an open root. Those are both pretty good exercises.

I have also been working one that is more difficult. I made it up myself and it would be easier to tab or notate it, but I will try to explain. Play an open D (D2), then the octave of D (D3) (on D), then A#3, D3;
    D2, D3, G3, D3;
    D2, D3, A3, D3;
    D2, D3, G3, D3;
    D2, D3, A#3, D3;
    Then shift..
    D2, C#3, E3, C#3;
    D2, C#3, F#3, C#3;
    D2, C#3, G3, D3;
    D2, C#3, F#3, C#3;
    D2, C#3, E3, C#3;
    Then Shift...

Here is what is going on, you are playing the open D as a drone, then a triad plus the 4th all against the drone. Starting at the octave and going down the scale through the modes.

Play it slow and work listen to the drone to make sure you are all in tune, check tuner if you don't know for sure.

Still not sure I explained the exercise well, maybe I should do my first youtube.

Kirk

4. kirkdickinson

Here is a ZIP file that has my exercise in DMajor against a D drone. In the Zip file is a PDF of the notation, MP3 at I think 90BPM, a midi file, a finale file and a Garageband file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8j7c6v70esg8nt/D-Drone.zip

I just put this together from memory and haven't actually played it, so I hope there are no mistakes.

I used a String Bass sound because I find that when I am working on my intonation, that is easier to hear.

Kirk

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    bump... hope to get a few more interested people.

thanks,

chuck

6. kirkdickinson

Chuck, Why don't you put both of those files into a ZIP and put it somewhere where people can just download it? Unless you want to make contact with everybody you are sending it too.

Kirk