1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

FEEDBACK FRIDAY

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Somnambulance, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Semi-inexplicably, I've been listening to a lot of Yes lately (?!?!)
    But also some Anthony Braxton since it was his birthday yesterday.
    And Luciano Berio's "Sequenza XIVb"

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Patchulator 8000 came today!

fretter and Bassist4Eris like this.
  3. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    i’ve been listening to one section of a big piece 40 minutes or so) i’ve been working on, a few things posted by people here and the ambient and textural playing thread, and zapp/roger.

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I saw Braxton live several years ago. It was a free concert, and he was advertised as a jazz musician. The place was packed for the first two minutes. By ten minutes in, half the audience had left. Two hours later, the rest of us gave him and his band an enthusiastic standing ovation. This concert was also the first time I got to hear some really great players like Taylor Ho Bynum and Mary Halvorson.

And Berio I first discovered in my college years when I got into my first poet, e. e. cummings. Berio has a setting of cummings poetry called "Circles". When I heard about it I had to special order the CD (years before the internet). The disc also has Sequenzas I, III, and V.

Sometimes it seems like no one on TB knows or cares about the avant-garde. Another reason I love this thread. :thumbsup:

steubig and Bob_Ross like this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    I played with Taylor a few times when we both lived in Boston. He's quite a character, definitely a forward-thinking musician. The few things I've heard Mary do make me think that if I were a younger, more energetic person I'd be checking out every gig she did, following her around practically like some fanboi...there's something about her combination of musical innocence and musical insouciance that really resonates with my aesthetic. The fact that she seems to piss off so many "traditional" jazz guitarists just endears her even more to me!

Don't get me started on e.e.cummings <3

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  6. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    saw anthony with taylor and kyoko kitamura in l.a. a few years back. amazing
    concert.

i’ve seen mary h twice and heard a few recordings and have yet to hear something that has moved me.

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Braxton is nuts. He comes often to Quebec and plays at the Festival de musique actuelle de Victoriaville.
    I always go back to conference of the birds.

Him and Sam Rivers on the same record!!!!!

KABOOM!!!!

I've sampled,chopped and mangled one of his solo concerts as an outro for a local band last month. I wanted his patented duck harmonic screams.

:)

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    @Bob_Ross
    Had a blast. Very kind of you to share the sample and let me use it. :)
    Only tools used are my SP404sx and my 4 track. Chopped the samples and recorded into the 4 track, then resampled the recording adding FX live back into the SP. Tried my best to keep it pure and make it breath.
    No daw or computer.
    OG basement style sampling method.

20200606_110154.jpg

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

It's been a few weeks since I contributed anything. I was really into this type of recording when isolation started, but I haven't done anything in a couple of weeks. Still, I have literal hours of this stuff I've done during the pandemic. Here's one of my favorite shorter pieces that I haven't shared yet.

Dropbox - Golden Nosehair.mp3 - Simplify your life

cosmicevan likes this.
  10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Getting dirty w some bleeps n bloops

fretter, Bassist4Eris and jbybj like this.
  11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Here we go. Still practicing with my most recent JMT synth.
    Was trying to go for a more "ambient" vibe and less "harsh" . Getting there, I still need a lot of practice. These synths require an intense listening process due to the unpredictable nature of them.

No computer, no mastering. Recorded on my portable 4 track.

Enjoy, cringe......

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    cosmicevan likes this.
  12. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nice stuff....reminiscent of hanging by an airport (take that as a compliment as I enjoy those sounds). Hoping to get something posted some point today.

13. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a journey into sound

14. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
  15. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    This gave me a flashback to Fripp and Eno, No Pussyfooting or Equatorial Stars. Thanks

Bob_Ross likes this.
  16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Have you thrown anything else into the input of the BLOOPER than bass.
    I’m dig the pedal a lot and am interested in what it would do to a vocal sample, field recording, synth....etc....
    Any feedback on your part would be much appreciated.
    Keep them cool clip coming.

17. Bob_Ross

Dec 29, 2012
    That's not a BLOOPER, it's a MOOD plus a Count To 5 plus a volume pedal. But that one's a guitar, not a bass.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a BLOOPER ...but soon [insert meme of horse looking out of 2nd floor window]

And I still haven't pulled my keyboards out of storage in the almost 7 years since I moved into this new place (!) so basses or guitars are all I use as source instruments these days.

18. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Typo....meant to say MOOD.....sorry.
    If you ever try anything else with those pedals give me a holla. I’d love to hear any clips or feedback.

I do a lot of sound manipulation and those pedals are mighty interesting.

Thanks!!

Bob_Ross likes this.
  19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been running my drone and desktop synths through the mood and the blooper. Both are designed to handle line and instrument level...most of the early demos show them being used w synths.

20. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Ill probably wait a few years....or win the lottery.

Cad $ is so weak that buying any of those is completely nuts.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021