Feedback from Bass-Drive and Jazz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ogrossman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I just bought a 2006 Fender Jazz Deluxe V and I'm getting this high pitched feedback when I use it with my Fulltone Bass-Drive. :atoz: Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know what adjustment I need to make to get rid of it?

I don't have the problem with any other bass. :meh: I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that the Deluxe has 18 volt active electronics (my other basses are only 9 volt). In fact my OLP is modified with a Fender Jazz Deluxe preamp but as I said, it's only 9 volts.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd doubt the preamp voltage has anything to do with it (although it is possible that the pre was designed for higher gain amounts than the other pre's). More likely there's a resonant frequency in your room which the new bass's pickups are sensitive to, i.e. they're acting microphonic at that one frequency which is freakishly louder than other nearby frequencies just due to your room's acoustics. And the resonance is being increased by the gain and compression of the Bassdrive.

Try bringing your bass, pedal, and amp outdoors, or into a much larger/differently-shaped room, and see if it still happens.