1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Feedback. Got any tips for me?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BurbsToo, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BurbsToo

BurbsToo

Sep 16, 2007
    UMass, Amherst
    So I was just messing around today and decided to try feedback. I just play for fun, so I only have a marshall practice amp and I live in a dorm (and my damn RD banned instruments because she's a conservative cock-shiner) so I never get loud enough to get accidental feedback. But today I leaned by bass, a virgin (straight hardwire from pups to output) squier P, against my amp and got some feedback so I decided to play around with it. I'm completely self-taught so my knowledge is a little limited. So this what I figured out on my own. When I put my amp to 'modern' mode (dirty) the E and especially D string resonated (btw, D resonates a bit now matter how I play in modern mode, so I think that might have something to do with D dominating feedback.). And when I put my amp in 'classic' mode A dominates feedback. I also noticed that 5ths of those notes feedback well too. I don't really know why this is because all notes should resonate equally well. I know that gain and distortion increase feedback. That's all I was able to figure out in the 10 minutes before class. I'm really interested in feedback on a bass because I think it's much more appealing to the ear than on a guitar. Can I get some tips on how to incorporate this technique?