Feedback on a Carvin Red Eye Combo RC210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Has nyone ever played with one of these this is what i have been keeping my eye of for the past few weeks and am hopefully gonna buy within a month does anyone have any good information or bad about them??
  2. Good points:
    Lots of power, lots of flexability (so much so that getting YOUR sound could be a problem) and a very good price.

Bad points:
    Poorly designed speaker cab, crappy speakers and won't deliver those thundering lows that many require of their rig.

Should you do it? Possibly, especially if you're going to add another cab to get all those tones the straight-up Carvin will miss.
  3. I owned one for a couple of months. I agree with the previous statement about the speaker cab. It kept farting out on me and I didn't even have the low cranked. I was not impressed. It might make a huge difference if you put a cab under it. I never got around to trying that.

Just my .02
  4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Don't do it! IMHO it was the worst amp I have ever played. I couldn’t get the volume past 4 without the speakers farting. The amp would shut down at the most inopportune times. I returned it 3 times to be repaired (within a year and at my dime). I bought an 8Ohm 1x15 for the bottom thinking that would help, but all that did was open up a Pandora's box of new problems. Do yourself a favor and look else ware. I have since moved on to a GK 1001RB and Avatar 410 and couldn't be happier:D :D
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think I would go for the head separately, then maybe a different cab. The amp IMO is quite good; I like it much better than GKs or Ampegs.
  6. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned a red eye combo with the 115 and 2-8's
    and it was not a good amp. I think it would be better to buy the Carvin head and buy a good speaker cab.
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I got an RC210 about 2 years ago. I thought it was good for lower volume stuff. The build quality is excellent and it's never shut down on me. Like other posters have said the speakers aren't all that great, but they are decent. Last year I racked the head and used an Eden D410-XLT cab. I recently got a Kern pre so I just use the power section of the R600. I still use the 2x10 from the original combo for practice.
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've had/used one since November '98... It works very well as a bi-amped rig with a 1X15 or 1X18 below it, (a 4 Ohm cab preferrably), and worked fine as a stand alone for low to mid volume gigs... I've recently become dis-enchanted with the cabinet and pulled the head... I now run the R600 into either 1 or 2 homemade 1X15 cabs and couldn't be happier.

FWIW, the head has been through better than 200 gigs, run in every conceivable combination, and has never given me a moments worth of trouble. Very dependable, flexible, loud... just a workhorse. Maybe I just got lucky, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the R600... The only caveat being that for a tad more money, one could pick up the R1000...

9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Another endorsement of the RL1000 head here. Does just fine w/ my Aguilar cabs. No flatulent emanations, and plenty o' power.

Haven't played the Carvin cabs...
  10. It seems that the concensus is that the speakers aren't very good. I never got a chance to try my RC 210 with a cab. That might have been better. Maybe someone should call Carvin's attention to this fact. I think it's hurting them more than doing them any good...
  11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Any of you guys who pulled the head out of the cabs want to sell your cab? I like my Carvin 2-10, but run it with either a Sunn 2000s or a Workingman 300. YMMV?