Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

feedback on emg

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jan 4, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hi!

this is my dilema:

i have lakland 4-94, with the bartolini pups (J & MM) and the bartolini pre amp. SWR amp and use lots of compressor (claypoolian influenced).

i find the bartolini to sound thin, many people also told me that about bartolini, so that maybe influenced me plus the G.A.S.

the other day i trey out a ibanez soundgear with emg active pickups, and sounded MUCH more better than any other ibanez i ever heard or played, like more aggresive, more mwa-ish. is this the tipical "in your face" sound? what songs can i listen were the EMG sound is reconoceable?

thancks for any input!

2. I play an ibanez soundgear with emg pickups. They have a nice 'edge' to them. you can hear my bass through the link in my signature.

Look on EMG's website, they should have an artist list somewhere of people who use the pickups. Some people I can think of off the top of my head are Les Claypool and Victor Wooten. search this forum for info on emg vs bartolini, there should be a lot of info available.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey, are all those songs recorded with ibanez with EMGs?

in "novemereco" (1st 45 sec) there are 2 bass lines, are both recorded with the ibanez?

4. yeah, the first part of november collage is done with just the ibanez. the chordy part is done with both pickups blended with a modulation effect punching in and out at certain parts, and the 'lead' bass tone is the same bass with the bridge j pup almost soloed. so far everything on my page was done with the ibanez. I get my MTD on friday. thanks for listening!

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey thank you!

i liked the those bass parts, but think how would sound in a band situation. do you have a band?

6. no band, but with the right strings and playing technique, i think they could sound like whatever you want in any type of situation. 'strumsfeld' is played with steel strings where im obviously going for as bright of a sound as possible. the solo piece is done with thomastik infled power bass strings (nickel plated) and the sound is much more tame. emgs have a very broad range of frequencies they can amplify, its just up to you to provide those tones to the pickups. if youre not going for a sharp or hi-fi sound though, emgs might not be the place to start.