Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feedback on Fingerstyle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Any other fingerstylers/slapers have this problem when they use Distortion?

2. no
    be further from your amp or turn the gain down
    ... or buy a better distortion or amp...
    its rare to gte a lot of feedback on bass

3. Feedback can be a desireable thing if you learn how to control it.

It should go away if you don't stand close to your amp.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    it is best not to use distortion.

5. why?
    i love distortion and i dont even play metal...
    well no, not distortion...overdrive.

6. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Are your pickups facing your amp when it feedsback? I don't think bass pickups are hot enough to feedback without a lot of gain, which is what you overdrive is adding. I've gotten feedback with my P-Bass by having all my effects on (overdrive delay phase and flange) I doubt the phase and flange had much to do with the feedback, but without both the overdrive and delay my amp wouldn't feedback. I've never had my amp feedback on me except that once, and I had to work to make it happen so it seems feedback shouldn't be a common worry for bass.

I don't know if you facing the cab is the problem, so I'd do what everyone else has suggested, take a few steps away from the amp and that should clear it up. Also it may help to turn down the gain or level controls.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I think it covers up natual beuty, like makeup.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that whatever the song calls for should be used - it's somewhat silly to think that the "natural beauty" of an instrument is more important than the sound of the song. shoot, even jaco would use distortion live on his solo bits at times.

ultimately, though, it's all objective - what some folks like, others hate.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    on some guitar stuff, i think distortion sounds fine. Just to give it a little edge. I just don't really like distortion, never cared for it on bass. I think of it for more of a solo thing.

It worked fine for jaco, but not for me. I guess that is because he did a lot of lead stuff. I think there is just too much effect overkill in the world.

10. I use overdrive to get a greasy grinding tone sometimes just for boost to compensate for not having much mid in my tone (I know I'm going to get it for that). When I drive hard into distortion to suport songs with less guitar play, You have to speed stuff up. I don't face my amp when I play, the feedback comes from tricky string to string changes. I refuse to play with a pick although pick players are respectable in their own way but for me I have to feel the strings to truely play out the good stuff, feels good to me. I think I should use more compression and mybe an enhancer to recover those highs or it's time to get that passive Standard Fender Jazz V (I'm so sorry Ibanez).

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am not sure what is meant exactly by "feedback." Like, Jimi Hendrix-type stuff? Sometimes, when I put my bass near my amp and forget to turn the volume down (whether my distortion is on or not), one string will start to vibrate on it's own, increasing in volume until I stop it. Is this what Bigfeet is asking about? If not, what causes the problem I am describing?

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Usually loose wiring in the pickups can make them microphonic and cause feedback.

Tap on the pickups with a finger. When you hear a loud amplified knock in your amp that's most likely the cause for it.
    A cure is to wax the pickups. The pickup is submerged in molten wax. When it's dry the wax fixates the wire and eliminates feedback.
    A good service tech can do it for you.

Here's a link to the G&L factory tour.
    G&L waxes all of their pickups.

http://www.glguitars.com/factory-tour/tour-page5/tour5.html

13. Also you can reduce feedback a lot by just turning the treble and /or high mids down on your active eq or in your preamp´s eq..

I also get feedback when I use distortion but i like it, and sometimes i do some cool stuff with it..