1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feedback on live performance...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassUrges, Apr 22, 2018.

1. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    So I played today with a performance class at Swallow Hill Music association. I have videos of all the songs, but this one was what I spent the most time on: I Want You Back. I'm trying to get a sense of whether I'm ready to head out and start trying to find a band. As you can see from the cargo shorts and camo fleece, I'm firmly in DadBandLand, although I'd dress better if I were being paid.

I haven't gotten any real feedback from anyone, so I'm throwing it out here to get pummeled:

Jimmy4string, Helix, Oddly and 7 others like this.
  2. Dress for the band you want to be in. :D

Sounds good! You're drivin' the band, man!

3. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    (Googles "Highest Grossing Bands of 2017")

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Pummeling is not quite in order as a good deal of your playing was above decent, in fact, some spots were near perfect. The biggest issue that I see (hear) is, and I understand that it's not a walk in the park, but in parts of the busy sections prior getting to next section, timing appeared to be falling behind here and there. More practice, possible with a metronome should help you get in the pocket in those sections. Nice job. Looks like a fun one. :)

5. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Yes, I noticed the timing issue myself at the time. I *thought* I had it down really solid with the recording (and a faster live version I found), but playing with actual humans threw me off, no doubt. Not sure if that's because we were rushing a little or just because trying to fit everything to a human drum beat that can drift a little is different than a recorded one that is identical every single time. Happened on some other songs, too, but none of them were as fast, or as specifically note-for-note, as this one.

Artman and T_Bone_TL like this.
  6. Didn't even listen to the video, but you're ready to find a band.

Helix, Fletz, Artman and 1 other person like this.
  7. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    You like the cargo shorts that much?

8. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    As a practical matter, it's better to simplify and hit the timing than try to cram in every note, in terms of serving the performance, if cramming in every note is a problem - while a few folks that are A/B -ing your performance to a particular recording might notice that, it's far more noticeable to the average listener if the timing is off. So unless you are looking for a gig with a slavishly dedicated (sound just like the record - sound just like THIS record) tribute band, choose simplification if there has to be a choice. Heck, even if you are, choose that, and then go woodshed where you had to if it's needed for the gig.

IMHO, IMPE, and most folks seem to concur, playing with other people is how you learn to play with other people. What you do alone can help with that, but there's no substitute for the real thing, and I (at least) improved immensely faster when I started playing with people (and I still am improving, with lots of room for it remaining. Yet they are often quite complimentary, so I clearly hear my screw-ups a lot more than they do. And I try to do better.)

If you at least grok that you should dress better, there's hope on that front. I'd guess this is more of a "class project recording" than otherwise, though if there was any sort of outside audience, even for free, give yourself one sartorial demerit. When you are putting on a show, paid or not, you are putting on a show.

...and since you don't have your nose stuck in a chart, look out at the (camera/audience) (most of the rest of the group also seems to have this affliction.) Or over their heads, or into the lights. I mostly stick my nose in a chart, but I do try to remember to look out some, when I can.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

images2b2.png

great job! IMO: you're ready to take the plunge! :thumbsup:

(i'll send you $10 USD if you promise not to wear the cargo shorts again) :D

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  10. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    OK, OK, no more cargo shorts! (audience was mostly parents of the teenagers who played after us, but also my mother listening to the music of her youth. She was there to see her grandson play guitar more than to see me, though). From now on a kilt or something.

Gearhead17 and PlatoFunFactory like this.
  11. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    You're ahead of the beat in many places when the bass line is active. The good news is that you have the notes; bad news is that you aren't locked with the drummer and beat.

Play with a click track in isolation without the record/recording and I would suggest starting at a slower tempo than recorded (like 10 beats slower) to force you to play with the beat and focus on note duration. One of the best lessons I received from Danny Morris (amongst many), was that people tend to shorten note duration on long notes (e.g., whole notes) and, somewhat ironically, very short notes (e.g., 16th). The former is due to boredom and/or a desire to keep it moving; the latter typically fear of a fast section and lack of confidence in ability. Both ignore the beat as your master. When we had assignments with a fast version and a slow version, Danny would tell me to record the slow version to force me to play legato, full note duration, no matter the note length. It was a great learning.

Dress for success; you played an indoor show and all you needed was a t-shirt and jeans, not a tuxedo. This is similar to people saying they will act more mature after being promoted; yet wonder why others get promoted before them. A little polish goes a long way, especially in the modern era when strong bands are looking for audio, video and photo for auditions.

FenderB, Roxbororob and 31HZ like this.
  12. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Sound is good, technique appears good. Over all great job, but as mentioned work on your timing.

Why would you not be looking for people to play with?

13. tchristian

tchristian Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Missoula, MT
    Yup. Rushing. Simplify the fills and focus on the drums, especially the kick. The sooner it becomes 2nd nature to hear and feel and synchronize with your drummer the sooner you can start putting those nice fills back together. And yup, you're ready to play out!

Joedog likes this.
  14. tchristian

tchristian Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Missoula, MT
    Bootsy Collins - "It's all about the ONE." He means there's no groove if the one is missing. It has to be there, even if you don't strike a note there. It has to be there.

15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My thoughts, exactly.

16. Sounded awesome! As mentioned small timing issues and as you have said new to playing with humans. That being said, you should hook up with a band and it will be easier to lock the pocket once you have worked with a drummer. I am not going to recommend playing along with a metronome, only because even if you can play it cold with one, Once you get into the live situation all bets are off imho. Good luck and keep us posted.

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  17. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Cargo shorts/pants are awesome. Seriously, you can roll up three or four of them to only take the space of one pair jeans in a suitcase or backpack, and you can carry a TE Elf on each leg. ;-) Just kidding, go out and play. When you audition, listen carefully to the drummer and the tempo. If the drummer is the bands' regular and has a tendency to noticeably accelerate as the song progresses or during guitar solos, look for another band.

mikewalker likes this.
  18. Sounds good, time to gig!

19. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    IMO there are shows where cargo shorts would be appropriate but you stand out here as everyone else is wearing longs pants. For this show you probably would have been better off in jeans and a tee shirt or long sleeve flannel type shirt.

Go find a band - play, have fun :bassist:

20. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Thank you for the advice! (I didn’t get much from the class itself—bass getting ignored, probably). The guitarist wants to get together to see about putting something together so that’s a step. If I go a more R-5 direction I’m sure I can improve the timing. That was the note-for-note-iest of the songs.

Artman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021