1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Feedback on markbass 151Rj

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkbass4u, Jan 13, 2012.

1. funkbass4u

funkbass4u

Apr 8, 2005
    Ann Arbor
    Hello to all, I am a new markbass owner and was looking for some feedback. I just recently purchases a cmd 121 combo and was looking to add a bottom cabinet for it. I am interested in the Rj 151 but cant find much info on them. Does any one have any experience with them and the combo together? I am looking to add a little more bottom to my sound, thanks Phil

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Don't run a 15 cab with your 12. Your 12 will easily run out of excursion. Which CMD 121 did you get? I have the 121H combo, larger box than the 121P combo. I have run my Traveler 151P cab as an extension cab to it. It sounds great at low volume, but limited by what the 12 can handle at higher volumes, not to mention if I bump up the lows (including turning the VPF up past, say, 9:00). Even without an extension, be careful with the lows and high volume. My 12 ran out of excursion before I realized what I was doing. I have found my combo amp and Little Mark III to sound best in a mix running pretty much with the eq knobs at noon, maybe a little cut in the high mids (say 9:00-10:00). Sometimes I turn the VLE up to about 3:00 for a really old-school tone. The VPF gets used very little. Remember, the VPF cuts mids and accentuates lows and highs. So, when you turn the volume up, because you get lost in the mix that way, it can really test the mechanical limits of your speaker(s). I switched to a LMIII head and a 151P cab, hoping to get more excursion and resiliency. Seems to work, for me.

The best cab you can add is one identical to what you have. But, whether you got the 121P or 121H combo, the 121H cab would work. It has a bigger box than the NY121 cab. More lows that way.

3. Would love some feedback on the 151RJ as well - especially in comparison to the New York 151. Looking at buying one of these options myself as well.

4. funkbass4u

funkbass4u

Apr 8, 2005
    Ann Arbor
    well I did buy the Rj 151 and I gig with it saturday night and all the band members love the sound of it. I was told by some of the crowd that the bass was nice and clear. I compared it in the showroom with the 151ny and it just sounded better to my ears, the bass was responsive but not too boomy. I thought it was a little easier to carry because of the shape compared to the ny151 also. Overall I felt I made a good decision with it as I was told not to put a 15 with a 12 but I like the fact that if I need a little extra booty that I have it. At the volume levels I used the 12 had no problem keeping up. here is a pic of my set-up.
    IMG_0897-1.

5. Nice looking rig - gratz mate

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    looks good...nice rig
    How does the horn sound in that cab?
    I used to run my Bergantino EX112 on top of my Berg HT115, but I found the 12 dominated the sound too much, so I switched the 12 to 210s

7. funkbass4u

funkbass4u

Apr 8, 2005
    Ann Arbor
    Hi Murphy, The horn on the cab sounds real good, not over driving like the piezo, I added a little foam from a tip I found on the forum for the piezo and just dial in the bottom horn to my taste and it sounds real good. I recorded our set this weekend and just finished listening to it and I cant believe how clear the tone is with this set up. It just cuts right through.

8. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    CT, New England
    Very interested in that cab and would like to know more about how it handles the lows. Boomy?tight? Thick? Scooped? Transparent? Boxy? Love the size and weight on paper but if it's too thin might prefer a ny 604. Anyone? I have a ny 121 I could use with it or by itself with my lm800 head. The ny 604 seems appealing also. These all seem like they'd be great!

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Good looking rig, Funkbass. Just be careful with the 12.

10. I am also in looking into trying the 151RJ. I currently use a LMIII into a GK Neo 212, which works great for my hard rock/metal band. I am looking into getting a second cab to use for at home, and for my Jazz/Blues band. For reference our band setup is bass, drums, keyboard, trombone, sax, and guitar. With the trombone and keys in the mix, I aim to stay under them with a deep, smooth, and warm sound, so it seems like a 115 would be ideal. How is the live volume on this cab when it is by itself? I understand that they voiced the 115RJ to have good mids and highs. Are the lows still good and deep? Anyone compare this one to the NY 121 or NY 604?

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    sexy photo!;)

12. I run the same setup. Almost bought the NY121, but the RJ151 provides a better mix of punch and depth. It sounds fantastic. And my whole rig weighs in at 67lbs, Not too shabby for a really BIG sounding rig.