1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

feedback on p bass pups out there!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman040, Apr 17, 2006.

1. i have with me a 90's Japanese P Bass. Couple of months back i swapped the stock pups for a set of Quarter Pounders, the added output was great and everything, but after the strings deadened, it didn't give me that vibe anymore, the sound was so dead, it's just not the sound i'm after. what i'm looking for is something that gives me strong bass and clear highs for slapping, popping and tapping. I've played jazz basses and musicmans before and I want my p bass to have the qualities they have without doing any major surgery. I guess for my case, would be to get a built in preamp with new pups. Have been looking at EMGs and DiMarzios, also heard of Bartolinis, quite a number of brands out there.

So this it to all you P Bass owners out there who have swapped their pups out, please give me some feedback on the pups you've put in.

2. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I haven't played all of the P-bass replacement pickups, but the EMG's to my ears sound like what you're looking for. I would also think that if you want slap pop and tap you'd need fresh strings no matter what kind of PU you have in there. Dead strings are perfect if you're trying to get more of a thumpy, rounder, vintage tone out of a P.

If you want more musicman or jazz sound in your P-bass tone, add a bridge pickup.

3. which emg model are we talking about here? thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it.

4. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Dead strings = dead tone.

No offense but so many people on here don't realize that strings need changed after awhile.

5. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I dont remember the name.. just the regular p-replacement pickups... I'm pretty sure they make different models based on whether your bass is 4,5 or 6 string

Try experimenting with strings before you start messing around with pickups. You may save yourself a lot of money and aggravation.

6. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
  7. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    I would also agree with the suggestions here... that you should spend some time messing with strings to fine tune your instrument...
    The P-Bass is really a passive pick-up type of instrument..they respond best with passives pups...
    I am not knocking or dismissing active pick-ups...they are great any many basses...
    I think the Q-Pounder is the best pick-up based on what you desribed.....
    You need to find strings that give you bite...but don't wear out to fast....unless you like changing strings often :)
    The RotoSounds in Stainless sound nice except they don't last to long.... You can ask around what might work...
    ARe you presently using nickel strings?? DO you have a Maple neck or Rosewood???

Chris

8. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I hate to be so doom and gloom but I think it would be nearly impossible to convert your p's sound into a j or stingray sound (a precision sound is its own thing).

By the time you purchase the replacement pickups and have a bridge pickup installed (as well as add a heavier bridge), you easily will have spent enough to cover a few hundred dollars that could be put toward a different bass.

If I were you and a nice snappy slap tone is what you are after, I would sell the precision, use the money you saved by not buying a new bridge and pickups, and then buy a used Japanese Fender Marcus Miller model.

I don't care what strings you put on it, or whether you add a bridge pickup (p-j basses do not sound like j-j basses), a precision is incapable of making the sound it seems like you desire.