Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feedback on some Digital images please......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    These are projects for my digital photography class. We have to shoot are own photography and do whatever the specific assignment calls for. Very time consuming. Photoshop is very hard program to learn well.

Anyways here are some from my Detroit series.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packard Plant
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    They're a little over exposed...:p

{edit} (OK, there are pics attached now...)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The cemetary photo is eerily cool. It says so much, but is such a simple photo.

-Mike

4. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    They look good, your edges are nice and clean, and your composition is solid. I really like the images.

What follows is a nitpick list. I'm not being overly critical, but you asked, so I'm going to point out some things that caught my attention that I would work on if it were me...

I'd like to see a bit more color matching between elements in the photos. There are several pieces with noticable green cast (the monorail in the first one, and the edge of the windshield frame in the last one) and the Sepia tone on the railroad tracks adds another color to an image that IMO has too many color variations in it already. I'm not sure I see the point of the BW area and green posterized building. The perspective on the mirror looks a bit flat too.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I really like them a lot, but the first picture is too garish for my liking.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I dig them. But I'm not a photographer.

The second one totally looks like an album cover.

The one with the rearview mirror would be great if you could edit in a Jurassic Park capture so there was a T. Rex in the rearview mirror. So is the 'Motor City Industrial' written backwards, or did you flip it?

The graveyard is cool as-is.

7. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm pretty sure it's a completely separate photo that was stuck in where the mirror is.

8. im gonna say yeah, cause otherwise he would have been driving on railroad tracks that would lead straight into houses (look on the ground in the mirror image, then through the windshield)

the look good man, the first one is a great way to capture the whole downtown feel of the city, but work with your colors a bit on the layers to try to blend them a bit, i agree with whoever said there were too many colors jumping out.

the second one, i would try to pull some of the yellows/greens out of the background, not too much that it changes the origional color to something else entirely, just enough that it looks like it was taken in the same place as the buildings...

the car and graveyard one look fine, though you might try to position the lettering in the mirror picture to appear as if it really was being seen in a mirror,

still man, everything looks great

:edit: the more i look at the first picture the more i see where your going with it, the overpowering of separate colors works in that one, but there may be a bit too much blue cause by all of the buildings reflecting the sky, it just seems like the blues overpower the image a bit too much.

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Thanks guy.

I do need to work on my color a bit I agree. The first two were the same project, I was trying to go for a saturated surreal kind of look. I mixed the black and white one in the second image because I think it looks more interesting. Plus the film in a couple of those images was shot in black and white, so I didn't really have a choice.

For the car one, the houses in the back were added and so was the entire mirror image. The graveyard one took the longest and I think about 7 seperate photos were used.

These were older projects last year, I have gotten better at the program. I will post some of the more recent images I have later on.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice. I've used a few of your images in the past as my desktop wallpaper. I hope you don't mind. If you do, I'll stop.

-Mike

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Nah, help yourself. Some people get PO'ed when people use their images, but it doesn't bother me.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    At least for now, eh? When you're some rich and famous photographer selling your images to the likes of Time magazine and Sports Illustrated, things may change. :D

-Mike

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i really like the cemetary pic.

any chance you have it in a higher resolution somwhere?

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yes indeed. I keep all my high res photoshop files backed up. You never know when they might come in handy down the road.

The file size is something like 350 Mb's unflattened, and 70 MB's flattened.