Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feedback on tunes/production

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nicoli, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Not sure if this should be in recordings or band management, but here goes:

My band has just spend a horrible amount of time recording / mixing / mastering 4 tracks in a home studio setup. I think they are some of the best tracks (production wise) I've heard from a home studio but I'm somewhat biased. I especially enjoy the three tracks of stereo bass on 'Had a Dream' :D

Anyways, I'd appreciate some feedback as to what others think of the production quality and if the tracks are good enough to warrant selling them at shows, dropping off at radio stations (college and/or commercial), using it as a demo etc.

The tunes are up in the music section of our site: http://milesaway.explode.to

Also, any Ottawa area TBers that want to have a gtg this week/weekend, we'll be playing 3 gigs in the next week and a half so drop me a line.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Production quality is not too bad, but, the drums in particular (as always) show it up as a home recording.

The vocals could be mixed a little higher - and perhaps EQ'ed for a little more clarity. In fact, generally speaking, I think this lacks a little treble. Mainly from the cymbals and vocals. The drums are too much in the background. This is accentuated by the acoustics of the room you're in - that's what I meant by the drums showing it up. The drums have really brought out the acoustics of the room, as usual. And that's how you can really tell this wasn't done in a studio.

The guitars sound pretty good though.

I think it's mainly the drums & vocals that need work.

And, you're not gonna wanna hear this - but, for me, home recording means two words... drum machine. Since you're a band, you're not gonna wanna go down that route - but I've found that sampled drums give better results, unless you've got a good room to record it in, good drums, and good mics.

However, this really isn't the sort of music I play - and I doubt a drum machine would work too well with it anyway.

3. Thanks moley.

We rented a drum mic kit and set it up in the living room of a house with all the furniture removed, square room. We were running the 'control room' in a room adjacent running the drum mics into an 8 track mixing board but only had one track to record on so we got stuck with the original mix, which seemed quite good before the other instruments were added. We had to use band specific EQ and compression for the drums with everything else on top and it was a big headache.

They cymbols especially are really heavily compressed, they were dominating the mix and this was the only thing we could really do to get rid of them. Vocals were done with an SM57 so I would imagine that didn't help their cause.

We have other recordings with a drum machine but they seem so unnatural we really don't want to use them for anything other than practicing along to.

I suppose you're going to tell me there isn't much point to submitting this to even college radio then as the production quality is not good enough? I think it's probably ok to sell at shows for like $4 or $5, would you agree?

4. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    might try drum triggers. needs some bucks to get nice ones tho.