Feedback on video

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by x15, Feb 24, 2010.

1. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    Hey hey,

Aside from the weird faces I make, could you guys give me
    some feedback on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tLu4kFfZKU

I know I need to work on my phrasing and intonation..
    Let me know what you think.. I've been playing double bass and jazz
    for a little over a year and a half.

Regards,

Sahil

2. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think you have a good feel for the music but you need to work diligently on your technique which is already causing you some problems. If you don't have one, get a qualified teacher, preferably one with some classical background. The faces aren't nearly as weird as some guitarist I know! Good job, you are well on your way.

3. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    thanks, i really appreciate you taking your time out.. i wish i could find a teacher here, but there aren't any here.. i'll try working on the fingerings in simandl..

thanks again.

4. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Feb 17, 2009
    Sweden
    Make sure your bass in tune, you can hear some of the open strings being a bit off here. Getting a teacher is a good idea. Listen to a lot of jazz, try transcribing some simple stuff from recordings. Practice melodies and walking bass to a metronome on 2 and 4. Maybe this can help you... Just my 2 cents...

5. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    thanks peder ! the two cents were exactly what i had in mind : )

6. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    One thing I do with many of my students on a blues is start their soloing using a "statement-statement-commentary" method which is the basis of the blues form and taken from vocal/lyric ideas.

Find a melodic idea that you can use for the first 4 bars. Repeat that melodic idea for the next 4 bars. Have a related, yet slightly contrasting idea for the last 4 bars. This gets students thinking more about melody and less about trying to outline every chord and is the instrumental equivalent of something like:

"Since my baby left me, I got nowhere to go.
    Since my baby left me, I got nowhere to go.
    My baby's gone and I'm alright, but I gotta take it slow."

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    A slight conceptual twist. You can also think of blues as
    problem-problem-solution

My baby left me, what am I gonna do
    My baby left me, what am I gonna do
    I'm gonna get myself a new baby, that's what I'm gonna do

Pretty minor but thinking of a solution to and improvisational 'problem' is another way of thinking about it.

Nice stuff BTW. Sounds great for a mostly self-taught newbie. There is no sub for a real person standing there but I'll offer a few thoughts. Technique wise I'd really concentrate of keeping the 'claw'. Think of the shape of your hand when you are holding a glass. It should always be that shape. Also try to keep you fingers close to the board at all times. Flying out like that makes the intonation margin for error larger, can mess with timing, and makes playing fast harder.

8. sounds like those drops are getting you off a bit. Maybe focus a bit more on your quarter notes for now?

Hal Galper really changed the way I think about walking lines, I'll try my best to explain some of the stuff he showed me.
    1. 4/4 time is taught to us as children like 1 2 3 4 etc. Thinking this way makes your line heavier. So step one is to reimagine your counting as 2 3 4 leading to 1. So you're not thinking 2 when the beat is 1, you're simply feeling one as the place you're heading to instead of where you're coming from, get it? (you can practice this by listening! Check out the forward motion that's in Paul Chambers lines with Miles, but also any of the guys you dig.)

Once you're hearing where you're going, those drops will fall naturally in places that enhance the forward motion of your line, rather than tripping you up.

Try to sing walking lines. Give yourself the first note, then sing the note you hear as coming next, find said note on the bass etc. etc. Overall it seems as though you are playing fairly vertically (chord by chord) and I think really getting the sounds of the changes in your ear would smooth out your lines a lot. You sound a lot better than I did for a year of playing though, keep it up.

9. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    you guys are awesome.. thanks for taking the time out to listen to this.. i know my lines need more coherence and i'm trying to slowly work on that.. i think i need to start hearing and listening a lot more..

i guess that'll come on it's own, with transcription and practice..

hum. :)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021