1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Feedback Problem - Pickup?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Thumperloncke, May 10, 2006.

1. I'm new to upright bass-dom and I'm having a hard time getting the sound loud enough through my amp. I want to play in bars with a full band, But when I try, I can't get my sound loud enough without horrible feedback.

Is my pickup the problem? I bought a cheap one (url below) and I'm wondering if a more expensive pickup would fix my problem. Any tips that people have on eliminating feedback would really help.

Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-SIX-RO...ryZ16222QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    You didn't mention amp placement etc but I can tell you from experience that you need to get the amp in behind you facing outward to ward the crowd.

A common mistake that newbies make is to place the amp in front facing you like the monitors. Feedback !!!!!!!!! can't be helped.

I place the amp in behind and pointing slightly across the stage, never really had feedback problems ever using this technique at high and medium volumes.

Don't run the bass through the monitors, use your amp as the monitor and line out to the mains from the amp.

Good luck hope this helps

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a really cheap pickup made out of Radio Shack or comparable parts. Marshall Lytle of the Comets has one on his $350 Ebay CCB, and it feeds back and is nearly impossible to dial a good sound out of it. But it IS possible to dial a good sound out of it. It just takes work and a willingness to do EQ settings you'd never think of doing in a million years.

4. Thanks for the advice. So do you think if I buy a better pickup, I won't get feedback? If so, what kind of pickup do you recommend?

5. Roger Mouton

Roger Mouton Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Southern California
    Thumper - For what it's worth, no pun intended, I'd try a different p/u. I use Underwood but I'm not necessarily recommending it. There are many proven products that will work just fine.

I once tried Fishman's BP-100 and had a pronounced feedback problem trying to get more volume. I put the Underwood back on my instrument and the feedback problem went away. Same playing conditions, room, band etc. This is playing through a Polytone Mini-Brute 15.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
  7. Thumper, this is a frequent problem just about everyone has if they're playing in loud situations. I'm not familiar with the pickup you're using either, but several post-ers have already mentioned some decent pickups you could think about.

But before you go buying a new pickup, I'd look at the placement and position of your amp relative to you.

Make sure the amp can't "see" the pickup -- for example, put the amp behind you, so that you and your bass are both in between the amp and the pickup. If the amp is facing the pickup this will increase the chance of feedback a lot.

I'm not familiar with the pickup you're using, but one of the pickups already mentioned may also help.

A preamp may also help, but I'd work on placement first, then think about a different pickup if that doesn't work.