Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feedback problem !

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Leftyjames, Jan 18, 2005.

1. I got a second hand Fender Classic '60 Jazzbass, made in japan, the previous owner told me he fitted Custom '60s Jazz Bass Pickups himself(I'm not shure If it really are those custom pickups, it could verywell be that he's just telling a lie, but I didn't pay extra for them so thats ok :) ) (He also gave me the original pickups) now the problem is that, when I play my bass with distortion(a big muff, Boss metalzone, Boss OD-3 or Boss ME-50B) , I get a really anoying feedback, THAT WON'T STOP !! how high or low the volume is.. it's there.. (clean the bass sounds wonderful) Is this a problem with the pickups ? did he maybe wire them wrongly ? Or maybe the pickups aren't designed for distorion playing.. Should I maybe try fitting the original pickup's ?(if yes, could someone please tell me how to do that because I've never done this before)

Please help me, cause I'm a big distortion fanatic !!

(btw : I'm sure it's the problem isn't based at the effect because it works perfectly with my other bass(yamaha BBN5IIL)

2. I also just looked at the wireing and it's a big f***ing mess !

3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    sounds to me to be a grounding issue or a PU to high/close to the strings.

4. it's really weird,

clean = perfect
    distorted = terrible

what would the grounding problem be ?