1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Feedback problems...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Jul 21, 2012.

1. I'm not sure where to post this because I'm not sure what the problem is. Today at practice I started getting very loud feedback. I was using a GK MB210 along with the 210MBE cab. My bass was a Fender standard jazz. We practice at the same place each time and I never had this problem. The only thing different was I had replaced my chrome flats with nylon wrap strings. I know I read that there can be a "grounding" issue using nylons...do you think that may have been what was causing the feedback? I really don't know if I was or wasn't touching the bridge when playing or when the feedback occurred. Like I said, the nylons were the only difference in my set up today. Thanks for your time and any help you may offer.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    There are a number of possibilities, here is one. The new strings are emphasizing different frequencies and harmonics. This could be causing a harmonic resonance in the winding of one of your pickups. Potting the pickup usually prevents this. If the potting wasn't done properly a loose bit of wire could be resonating.

I've fixed this sort of problem by dripping a small amount of candle wax over the back of the pickup, then applying heat with a hair drier to melt the wax and allow it to run into the pickup. Here is a reference that explains it a bit.

Someone in the pickup thread may be able to shed more light on this.

3. Okay...thanks. I guess I could post this in the pickups section. In that article are they saying to remove the pickup and melting candle wax on the bottom of the pickups?

4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, wax on the bottom of the pickup, then melting it in. I've been doing this with success for many years and it works but not always. Sometimes you get lucky, other times you need to pot the pickup properly which is more involved.

Only do this if you feel comfortable taking your guitar apart.

As I said, there could be other causes of this problem. Sometimes it is a simple as adjusting your EQ.

5. I just wonder if I put my flats back on it if that would solve it.

6. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I would adjust your EQ first since it is the simples thing to try. Putting on your old strings could very well fix the problem. If it does, then your old strings are probably not emphasizing the frequency that is causing the problem.

7. My last practice I had the flats on and there wasn't a problem. I know when I use the nylons here at home they will cause a "buzz" on my amp if I roll the tone up. I don't play loud at home though. Practice gets pretty loud though. I have a gig in a small "joint" next Saturday and I'd like to use that particular bass. I have 3 others I could choose from but I'd rather use this one at this little dive.