1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

feedback question?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Passive Jay, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    I have a little epiphone Les Paul 100 guitar and my SBMM Ray34 bass. I have noticed that when I play rocksmith with my Les Paul I will get a lot of noise and feedback off the guitar when I am not actively playing it but the bass is always quiet as a tomb whenever I am not playing it. Is that because the Ray34 is a higher quality instrument with a better pickup and pre amp or is that just the nature of guitars compared to basses?

2. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    Whoops, I guess this is not the right place to post this?

3. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    anybody?

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Good morning! I though a player wants a Les Paul to feedback a lot?? Excessive feedback is a nuisance, but it's not caused bass vs. guitar; it's more about specific pickup design. Epiphone's pickups may just be very hot pickups: you may just have to turn down to hit the useable sweet spot. They may not be potted in wax in which case they may squeal more than produce useable feedback; you may want to pot them. Now back to bass vs. guitar, a guitar will feedback easier because the strings have so much less mass they will begin vibrating with less energy input, normal. If it squeals when you palm mute the strings and face the amp, you should look into potting them.

5. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    When I said I got a lot of feedback off the Les Paul I guess I just meant in comparison to the ray34 because I get absolutely none off that. does the fact that the les paul has passive pickups and the ray 34 has active make any difference?

What does potting them in wax mean? just what it sounds like?

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

You know, I read what I said and I wasn't very clear was I, lol. The LP pickups are hotter than your bass. The active circuit doesn't play that big of a role because it's a tone preamp and likely not designed to overdrive like a pedal will.

Wax potting is exactly what it sounds like. Dip the pickup in hot wax for twenty minutes. It locks the windings in place and eliminates excessive squeal. Some believe it improves tone. It certainly doesn't hurt tone and if yours are not potted it's an advisable thing to do, squeal or not.