Feedback Wanted: My Band's First Basement Demo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by eqvolvorama, Mar 3, 2004.

1. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Hey y'all,

Just wanted to ask for any feedback/ideas regarding my band's first real demo recording. We recently finished putting it together using our guitarist's laptop computer and a single direct box. Each instrumental and vocal part has been recorded one - by - one, track after track, with the exception of the drums, which we were able to sneak into three tracks at once. I will never underestimate the hidden advantage of being able to play alongside a live drummer again.

The bass sound is a Fender Geddy Lee Reissue, both pickups full on, playing on the bridge pickup - > Minor compression - > No real EQ of any consequence, with equal parts DI and SM58 out of a SWR Workingman's 15. I can get any information regarding other gear choices upon request.

Any comments would we welcome and appreciated. Hope you enjoy it. - The Other Way - Demo 2004.mp3

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Nice, bouncy feel.. Very tasteful lines.. Makes the rhythm interesting while still focusing on the essential. The guitar in the left channel at the beginning was kinda harsh.. That's the only complaint I have, though.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What your recording setup? Going to a computer and Cakewalk, etc? Hard disk unit??
  4. eqvolvorama

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia

Here's the recording setup, to the best of my knowledge...

We used Cool Edit Pro 2.0 on a Dell Inspiron Laptop, in the 1 GHz range, recording to the laptop's native hard drive. Our guitarist has a PCMCIA card with a slew of balanced/unbalanced inputs, but we for the most part recorded one track at a time running EVERYTHING through a simple compressor (something like the RNC I think) by default.

The drum tracks were done a bit differently, on an older Tascam Hard Drive Recorder which I think handles a few tracks at a time, and then imported to the Dell by some means I'm unaware of.

The one problem with this setup was that the laptop started to have problems playing multiple tracks simultaneously once we reached the magical track number 13, which I'm assuming is a hard drive speed issue.

For the purposes for which we've used it, Cool Edit Pro is a great little piece of software. It has no MIDI capability, but no one uses that stuff anyway :). Some great compression and reverb tools there for the price.

Thanks for the comments! I'm gonna go kick the guitarist's ass now for the harsh left-channel intro.

5. That was great! I can't find anything wrong abou it, just a really good song. Keep it up :bassist:
  6. What kind of mic did you use for vocals? The SM-58?

Sweet. I liked it all...Which means a lot considering my hatred for the majority of music.
  7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    As a demo, I think it was very well put together. Good, clear sound quality. Mixed down at the right levels. Not my kind of music, but peiced together nicely. Cool bass lines. :cool: :bassist:
  8. eqvolvorama

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Thanks for the comments, y'all!

And Dee, I think the vocal mike was a nicer Neumann that our guitarist owns and cherishes. Not sure of the model.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What genre would this fall in?
  10. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I like it! Nice mix on all instruments, including clarity of vocals. I like the bass line and sound. All on a laptop, wow!
  11. eqvolvorama

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Thanks, y'all! This is all great to hear, and hopefully we'll begin s...l....o...w...l....y working on an album sometime soon. Anything to avoid paying studio feeds.

Thanks again for taking a listen.

12. I like it a lot. Everything sits very well in the mix; I was expecting much worse quality judging by the tone of your post!

For some reason, I was expecting to be emo, so the deepness of your singer threw me off :)
  13. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i like it, too ;)

the only thing that i really would change is the drum sound.
    for my taste, there's to much "room" present (also takes away from the nice tightness you got) also, you don't really hear the hi-hat when it's closed. generally, the snare buries a lot of things.

i can imagine that it's like that because you didn't have enough mics.

of course, this is all a matter of taste.