feedback with upright through amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CamMcIntyre, Mar 15, 2002.

1. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey everybody when i play my upright [schools old kay w/a pickup {not sure on type of brand}] through my bassman 200 i can only turn up the volume to about 1/4 power before it'll start to feedback-by no means the type when you take a strat or other single coil guitar and stick it next to the amp with high gain-just like a high pitch for bass feedback through my amp. Are there any ways i can help minimize this or eliminate it? If you want more information to help figure it out just say so. thats all thanks in advance.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Get a preamp with a parametric mid/notch filter. I use the Tech 21 Acoustic DI and it cures acoustic feedback without any tweaking.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Don't put the amp behind you, put it beside you blowing out past the bass. You may also need to reduce the lows a bit, especially if your amp (don't know the model) has 15" speakers and is kind of dark-sounding. Some pickups are quicker to feed back than others, and there are limitations to volume with all acoustic instruments using a vibration-sensing pickup system.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Thanks guys. I'll try the puttin the amp beside me versuses behind. The amp to give more info is a Fender BassMan 200-200 watts @ 4ohms though a 15. Thanks though-i'll try this out on tuesday [block 8 sched. {4 classes a day}]. thats all