Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Feedback

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BenF, Dec 4, 2001.

1. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    This was interesting.

During a song at last night's practice I hit a quiet open A string and turned to fiddle with the tone on my amp. I felt the A note start get louder and before I could say "What the f**k?!" I got some great feedback out of my amp, to the point where I could move the bass around and do the Jimi Hendrix thing. The funny thing was one of the guitarists looking down at HIS amp think he was feeding back, then looking at me in astonishment as I layed on an evil grin.

Later on I played the D on the 7th fret G string (one of the dead spots on the bass) and the upper 5th harmonic rang out and started to feed back like an SOB. In fact, if I just lightly plucked the string while fretting that note I got some pretty howling feedback.

I was probably just EQing the amp incorrectly, but it was startling none the less.

Anyone else get feedback through their rigs?

(FWIW: the rig was a Warmoth jazz with Barts into a SM900 and Bergantino 2X12.)

2. i played through an ampeg 8x10 for the first time on sunday (with an Acoustic head) and was able to get feedback. it was wild. my bass is semi-hollow so that may have made it easier.