Feeding cats dog food....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Floating teetH, Sep 22, 2004.

1. I used to have a cat which loved dog food - I think he saw the picture of the dog on the can, and thought that's what was inside…

- Wil
  2. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    you know what you should feed your cat or dog... same food you eat... i did it... my dog lived till he was 23... would have lived longer if didnt get hit by a car... he crossed the street then saw my grandpa stayed back so he ran back to him (too active)...

I feed my pets what i eat same time i eat it... they dont mind and live long and healthy... :D

Oh my cats were same way :D buy cheapest fish i could find and feed them...

25 cats and 4 dogs... that was fun childhood :D

On topic... i dont know but its food... it shouldnt matter if they eat it i am guessing... i might be wrong maybe :/

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

What kind of dog was it that lived to be 23?

brad cook
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Mud... i am sure he was 1/4th husky and 1/4th german shephard... rest i dono:D

This guy... when he was little my grandpops tried to give him away... he was put on huge chain... somehow he destroyed the chain... ran back around 10miles and came home:D We had to keep him and pay for the chain :D

Was a great dog... went with me to kindergarden and attacked whoever came close to me cuz he sensed that i hated the place :D

(i'll fix the spelling later... sorry :D )
  5. Well, now I got a little catfood for 'em, cuz all my friends were trying to make it out like I'm a bad person for feeding dog food to cats. Dogfood probably isn't good for their urinary tract health....
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    But i mean... food is food... unless there is some crap that is just for dog (like chemicals) but if there is... i wouldnt buy that for dog either i guess:/
  7. Yeah, I had a few cats growing up that came down with FUS (Feline Urinary Syndrome). Though it normally only happens with males. As long as you aren't feeding them something high in magnesium (I think that's the mineral) you're fine. Try to stay away from cat food made with either tuna or whitefish, as they're usual culprits for it.
  8. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    The whole dogs & chocolate thing scared me, but mostly left me wondering.."Did I maltreat any dogs I used to own everytime I included tortilla in their leftover plate?" My Uncle used to eat Kibbles & Bits right in front of my face.
  9. Yeah, I've eaten dog food before. I generally prefer cat food, though....

10. Dog food is perfectly fine for humans to eat. The only real problem is that the quality control standards for dog food are much lower than for "human food."

I've eaten a "Beggin' Strip" before on a dare. Didn't get sick or anything, just $50 richer.
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I could use 50 bucks right now... I might try that...
  12. Back on the commune, kibbles and bits was a daily staple in my diet. beggin strips.......even today, just thinking about them makes me drool.......

13. Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    I can't explain you because i'm not fluent in english but you shouldn't give dog food to your cat!!
    (needs in minerals are different)

Of course, it won't kill him (it?), your cat could eat anything at all and find it good, so could you eat only Mc'Donalds :D , but you should NOT.

As well, don't give to your cat only meat.

Cat food that you can find in supermarkets will do fine.

And dont' give to your cat what you're eating (except in a small amount, here and there)
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, dog food doesn't have enough diamonds in it.

brad cook
  15. it'll make their breath smell like dog food.

16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I read once that cat food is higher in protein than dog food. I suppose a quick label comparison could confirm that. I'm sure it's okay to swap in a pinch, but probably not a great idea for the long term...
  17. Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Be nice with your nice cat! :hyper:
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

One night my friends and I, toasted and nothing left in the house to eat, consumed a 5 lb bag of Gravy Train.

Paid for it royally a few hours later.

Thank God for 7 years of sobriety!