1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Feel Like I'm Missing Something

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Right now I have a p bass which is a silvertone revolver (cheapy). I like the tone but it has a lot of finger noise and the strings (EB slinkys) have a lot of clank against the frets. I ordered a set of Fender tapes for it to quiet the noise and take it easy on my fingers.

I also have an Ibanez SRX300 with Fender tapes. I use this to record along with mp3s and find it versatile for country to rock although the sound directly through my amp isn't "terrific".

I want to pick up another bass (likely a p bass) but I need opinions on how to set up each of them so they're suited for different applications. I'd like a bass with tapes for recording and also wouldn't mind having one with flats. I'd also like to have something tuned down (likely DADG) so I can play directly to drop D but use a thick low D string to drop to C or B if needed.

Should I stick with the ibanez as is and throw the tapes on the p bass and then look for another bass to tune in drop d?

Or...should I drop tune the ibanez for things with a heavier sound, keep the tapes on the silvertone, and grab another p with flats? If I do this, what would the fret noise/clank be like with a p bass with flats compared to the tapes?

2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Need more info about your needs & expectations here.

You talk about playing country, but then you also talk about descending into the depths of lowered tunings on a 4 string.
    What genres of music do you play??

Also, your choice of strings is a little surprising. On the greatly lowered tunings, my experience has been that the notes can get pretty muddy. Using tapewounds and flats would only seem to make that even more of an issue. IMHO anyway.

Why not either get yourself a 5er or set a 4 up BEAD?

3. I play a lot of different styles (Beatles, AC/DC, Johnny Cash up to Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie).

Right now both my basses are standard tuning using the tapes, and any other bass with flats or tapes would be as well. If I went with a BEAD bass, I'd likely go with EB Power Slinky or GHS boomers or something that route.

I was thinking of one pbass with tapes, and make a pbass with a drop tuning, and keeping the ibanez srx300 with tapes. Something tells me I should switch the ibanez to a drop tuning but I do like the recorded sound it has with the flats...just not sure which direction to go and really don't want 4-5 basses (well, I want that but my wallet doesn't like the idea)

4. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    I'm surprised hybrid EB Slinkies are noisy--those hybrid strings are fairly smooth. Might be that your action is too low or maybe a fret that needs a bit of filing . . .