feel over sound?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Whast preferred in this general area by you? Of course in neither situation would the sound or feel be horrible....

Amazing Sound good feel
    Amazing feel and good sound
  2. I'd take feel over sound personally- You can always change the sound with verious strings, pickups, preamps, on board eq's etc... But you can seldom change the feel of an instrument short of adjusting the bridge- doesnt leave much room for change.
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'll agree with preferring feel. I'm lucky because I prefer Jazz basses and they can be modified to sound the way you want them. Changing pups, strings, etc. is easy and no too expensive.

Having said that, the Lakland JO I own is just the way I like it out of the box. Well, I bought it used so I didn't get the box but you get the idea. All I had to do was experiment with a couple of sets of strings and, wahlah! Just what I wanted.
  4. Hmmmm. I think I'd take feel over sound as long as the sound was still decent. If the sound was pretty poor the feel wouldn't matter much you know?
  5. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Definantly sound. I think it would be easier to get used to how something feels rather that how it sounds.
  6. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    feel. because good sound is good sound. good feel is harder to find, and it can help you play better, which is more important IMHO
  7. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL

When I pick up a bass the first thing I notice is how it feels. I know that I can alter the sound. And if it feels perfect, it makes it easier to fully explore all the instrument can do... including the wide variety of sounds it can make.
  8. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    feel. comfort and feel come first. if the sound is good it can easily be made better.
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    +1 on feel for the same reasons Cul-Baire said.
  10. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Feel, when you're lucky enough to find the one that feels like a part of you. Sound is so easy to change and tweak, the right feel is harder to find.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Probably feel, as long as the sound is on the right track
  12. I'd say feel, that's something you can't buy a pedal for.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think this will be a better fit in Misc... moved.
  14. Look good, feel good, play good.

That feel also refers to your insturment. How can you play well if you're uncomfortable, and hate your insturment?

Also, as stated before, sound is easy to change with technology
  15. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
  16. Feel. As everyone says, sound can be changed.
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If I was trying to be a popular well known bassist, or otherwise successful in a commercial sense. I would want my sound to be very strong. The reason is, impeccable feel, as vital and important as it is, is also a very subtle thing, too slight for the ears of the unwashed masses(non musicians) to really appreciate in the same way that the simple sounds they hear can be appreciated. More specifically, having an amazing sound not only makes you memorable to said unwashed masses, but it makes you desirable to hear. At least, that's how it appears to me. Of course, as bassists, feel is ultimately more important, and perhaps I'm looking at it more from a singer/lead/guitar type perspective, where the sound is very important for the aforementioned reasons. I still have a hard time imagining anyone(non-musicians) saying "man, dig this band's feel" where you hear people talk about how a band sounds all the time.

Ultimately, I'd take feel any day. :)
  18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    If you want to gig?
    You better have feel.
  19. tone and feel should not be mutually exclusive. They should both be indicative of a successful bass part.

But IF I had to sacrifice one for the better of the other, I'd go for sound, as the feel always has to be there.

Most of the basslines I write come from coming up with a bitchin sound, be it from a new pedal or tuning or whatever, but it's cause and effect, and I don't like to commit anything that hasn't been followed thru....