Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Feel" question (Sadowsky, Modern vs. Standard)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lefty007, Dec 28, 2005.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have a Sadowsky NYC Modern 24-5 and I'm wondering how does it compare to a Sadowsky Standard/Vintage 5-string, 21-fret, in terms of playability and feel. The difference in sound I know about.

In current production models:

-Is the neck profile the same in both?
    -Is the Standard easier to play around the first position, (because the lesser frets)?

Anybody have had the chance to compare these two?

I'm just asking about feel, comfort and playability.

Thanks.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've played a couple of 24 frets, a Metro at LDS and Tombowlus's 25th anniversary. The neck profile appeared to me to feel identical to my RV5 and MV5 (NYC). The access felt a little better. Not that I venture up high to often. I played my first UV70 Metro today and that was the first Sadowsky that I ever noticed a difference in five string neck profile. It was noticeably thicker, and seemed closer to a Lakland then a Sadowsky. But the 24 frets and the Standards seem identical, at least the few I've played.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Thanks. Anybody else?

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Hey Burk..what did you think of Tom's Anni? Man, since I played that bass, I'm obsessed with the friggin thing. My bass gas, although still varied (white Tbird ferinstance), is aimed squarely at a Sadowsky. The unfortunate part is I'll probably never be able to afford one, but my God...what a fine piece of bass that thing is.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very sweet, Kinda in-between Ken Jungs Celinder and my RV5 with stainless strings. The neck felt identical to both of my Sadowskys, but with better access up high. It had a great combination of Warmth, Balls and the ability to cut thru. But then you can say that about most of Rogers basses. It may be the prettiest bass to come out of Rogers shop. Very Cool, but I don't know if I'd trade it for my MV5 (NYC), I kinda like the vintage vibe more. I'm SURE it's worth more though.
    :D