Feel the Stingray love.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just got my MusicMan Stingray in, and yeowza.

First off, I was unware it had a Hipshot detuner in it, so there's an added bonus.

It's a great bass, low action, and absolutely adores a pick. It's got some mojo marks here and there, but all play wear, no signs of abuse or neglect. It's got some weight to it, but so have other basses I've owned, so I don't notice too much. The tone...well, it's a Stingray, what are you going to do? It may be a one trick pony, but it's a hell of a good trick.

The color in the pic is more or less it's real life color. Not so orangy as I'd thought it would be, which is good. It's MM's Honeyburst, and I verily do dig.

It feels a little funky, (funky funky, not funky Parliment) since I'm used to the beefy, 35" scale neck of my Spector 5. Playing this, it almost feels like a short scale, like 32" or something. So far, that's the only downside, so I'm waiting to see how the coming weeks end up feeling before I call it a keeper, but all signs point to yes. A big yes.

I've been GASing for a Ray for sometime, and it just seems that about half the time I really, really dig a bass tone, it's a Stingray. So now I get to see what it's all about. Have some jamming coming up next week, so I'll put it through it's paces. If it holds up, it's staying. If it just gets feeling too disparate from my Spector...

And, since it doesn't exist until...oh, now:

Let the idiodessy begin.

(Yes, that's a Peavey Ultra 60 guitar head. It's a sick, sick amp. Distortion city, with a pretty decent, if clanky, clean tone. Hubba hubba.)
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Sweet. I dig the colour too. :bassist:
  3. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Just change the pickguard...god I hate those transparent pickguards. I had, it turns out a 80s(I thought it was 90s), 4-bolt Sting Ray, trans red with clear pickguard. It look so nasty, but played hot. Nice bass.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno, only color I'd switch to woul dbe black, but I really dig as is.
  5. Congrats, Brendan, and welcome to the Stingray family. :cool:

I think the color's great. Any color in the brown/red/gold family, and of course, bursts are my favs.

I have a feeling that you'll be keeping her.

If I may, let me suggest either Dean Markley Blue Steels or DR High Beams for strings, if you're going to change them anytime soon. Ray's have tons of mids and highs as we all know; I feel the Blues or the DRs give you more bottom and less top-end zing than the EB Slinkys.

Much luck with her, man. ;)

6. Any chance of hearing the bass/amp setup? It sounds great from your description... :bassist:
  7. I bought my 'Ray brand new and the action is great: low, but not too low. Most of the 'Rays I've played in stores are set up similarly. Ernie Ball does a great job of setting up their basses as they leave the factory. I've changed the strings about seven times, and never had a problem with buzzing.

Get a Stingray! :bassist:

Mike ;)
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Alas, no. I lack the nessicary bits to record with. However, it's the best bass distortion I've ever heard, recorded, in person, or talked about.

(Hijacking my own thread), I feel this is because guitarists need distortion, it's part of the fiber of their being. I've got two channels of distortion, with 8 controls and two buttons on my footswitch dedicated to distortion. Bass distortion pedals and preamps are lucky to get a three band EQ and a wet/dry blend. By using a guitar head, I took the leap to where distortion is a science. Using a bass cab, it holds the low end together, even on a low B. Of course, it getts a little "blurry" if you're throwing down speed riffs on the first 5 or 6 frets of the B, but other than that, it's great.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not that you're biased by ownership, or anything.
  11. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Nice pick. I think a black pickgaurd would look very cool with it.
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Yeah, since the screws are black, he should get a black pickguard (unless of course he gets new screws)
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Good thing he doesn't have purple screws. ;)
  14. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Keep the clear guard. Very nice.
  15. Welcome to the MM family!!!