1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Feeler: Custom Curbow semi-hollow singlecut 6

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mikezimmerman, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    This is another one of those "I never thought I'd consider selling this..." feelers, but there's more to life than bass (no, really!) and practical considerations and recent expenses are making me at least consider the possibility.

I've got a custom-made Curbow singlecut 6-string that I waited several years to have built by Greg Curbow. It's got a deep semi-hollow mahogany body with a carved zebrawood top and peghead overlay. The neck and fretboard are black Rockwood, a Curbow exclusive that makes for a lively, stable, fast-playing neck like no other.

The magnetic pickups are Bartolini quad-coils and the EQ is an 18v EMG 3-band with sweepable mids. It also has RMC piezo pickups--some of the best money can buy--run through an RMC buffer/blend circuit to combine them with the magnetic pickups.

It has wide 20mm string spacing (adjustable via the Hipshot bridge) and a 34" scale. It plays marvelously, and the woods and oil finish combined with the semi-hollow construction and Bart pickups gives it a great midrange punch and articulation, combined with effortless playability. This bass is the culmination of nearly 4 years of planning and exquisite craftsmanship, but my Curbow Jazz 5 gets all the playing time these days and I simply don't play 6-string enough to justify such an instrument.

Except for one scratch near the output jack, the bass is in near-mint condition, and comes with an original Curbow hard case, custom ordered to fit the new body shape. I'd need to get $2500 out of the bass.

Thanks! Mike

2. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Wow---What a bass!!

3. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    dog, you're nuts :D

4. mVC

mVC

Jan 28, 2006
    this is a collectors item!
    used to have a petite fretless once, phenomenal sound and playability.

bump for a great bass!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    It pains me soooooooo much that this doesn't have a narrower spacing at the bridge. Otherwise, this one's right up my alley. What a bass!!!! Nothing plays and sounds like a Curbow.

6. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The spacing is adjustable, but not too much. You probably couldn't get it narrower than about 19mm.

But you said it--nothing plays or sounds like a Curbow!

7. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Another question: How much does it weigh? I considered a Curbow fretless recently until I found out it weighs 13 lbs!!!
    Definitely a lap bass.

8. josh66

josh66

Nov 23, 2001
    Stanford CA
    any passive mode? i imagine the passive sound would be awesome.
    could you post pics of the back? want to see the neckjoint
    does this neck have a trussrod - or is it like the earlier modulii with no relief adjustment? -thnks. josh

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    *faints*

.....Dude.....

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I can only imagine...

11. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's not light, despite being hollow. I wouldn't think it's 13 lb., more like 10 or 11, but I don't have a scale. It's definately not lighter than either of the two fretless Curbow 5's I've owned, but it's not a back-breaker, either, and I've gigged all night with it many times on a wide strap without too much trouble. Heck, I'd even throw in a padded Comfort Strapp...

No passive mode, sorry. The Barts would probably be fine in passive mode, but the piezos require a buffer.

I'm attaching a picture of the back. As you can see, the body is fairly deep, and it's also very resonant.

In addition to graphite reinforcement, all Curbows have a truss rod for adjusting the relief. You can see the slot for the adjustment on the headstock pic. I currently have it set up fairly flat, and it plays like a dream with no buzzing.

Mike

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mike, if you get a moment, would you mind measuring the thickness from back to front...thanks.

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's a stunning bass.

14. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's about 1.75" at the edge and 2" at the center, due to the carved top.

Mike

15. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Wow--What a bass!! That's all I can say.

16. richst

richst Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Yummy.............Curbows are the bomb. I had a 6 string Curbow Retro that I wish I had never sold. I would trade my old Fbass BN6 for yours in a heartbeat and thats a bass I said I would never sell. Have never seen a Curbow singlecut. Spacing may be a little wide for most but Curbows are so comfy I bet anyone could get used to it. My F has 18mm spacing and it feels a little narrow after playing my 4 or 5 string basses with 19mm spacing. This should get snatched up quick.

17. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Greg came up with this singlecut design especially for this bass, though I understand they've built a couple other singlecuts that may have used it.

Oh, and BUMP. :)

Mike

18. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've got bills coming in, and am getting a bit more motivated to sell. PM me with offers...

Thanks!
    Mike

19. You're going to regret this terribly. Maybe you could rent it out for a while instead...

20. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Quite possibly, but more because I appreciate Greg's wonderful handiwork than because I can justify or make good use of such a kick*ss 6-string...

Mike