"Feeler" Feeler Forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by kelbrihan, Jan 17, 2006.

1. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    It seems the new trend around here is to put out "feelers" and see if there is "any interest", ask for best offer without even listing a price. Maybe there should be a seperate forum for "Feelers", to me For Sale means, "I have this for sale and I am asking this much for it". This place is turning an auction site.:rollno: If you're not sure if you want to sell it, list a high asking price, then you'll know if there is any interest.
  2. Kevin Ellis

Kevin Ellis Supporting Member

I sorta agree but mostly disagree. There are some folks trying to get the highest offer and I don't like that. But if someone starts with a really high price just to see if there is anyone interested most of us won't even click on their add. If I see an add that is way out of line price wise I don't even click on it even if it is something I am gas'n for. I enjoy seeing the feelers. Sometimes ya just don't know if you want to sell something. Alot of times a trade will come up through feelers that works out better than cash. But what do I know. I only buy on here!
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I agree, i dislike feelers.
  4. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I'm guilty of a feeler, which turned into a sale, but I agree. Instead of posting that you're thinking about selling X, don't post anything until you've decided that you're going to sell.
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Using "feeler" is become really popular on this forum right now, but I always thought of it as a way for someone to imply that their bass is so good, they're not sure if they want to sell it, thus getting more people to take a look at it.

Speaking of different forums for specific things, I think this should actually be in the Paul's Suggestion Box forum ;)
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Is this a Classifieds post?

"Feeler" is a way to gauge interest, regardless of the price. The opposite could be true of posts that say "For Sale" then the seller backed out because he just wanted to gauge interest. A "Feeler" forum wouldn't work because nobody would view it.
  7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I agree. To me, a feeler can easily be a silent auction in disguise.
  8. I didn't even know what a Feeler was until just now. I thought a bunch of people were misspelling "Fender".
  9. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    If you're asking for the best offer, at least put a ballpark figure to safe confusion.

Simple put a figure, watch for interest, and lower the price if no one takes much notice.

A simple guideline for selling: Don't sell it for more than you would pay, especially to other TBers.
  10. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    And that would let them know that a) noone is interested or b) their price is too high and their bass isn't worth what they think it is.
    I like the idea of a trade forum though. Any seconds on that?
  11. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    I agree 100%, that's all I was getting at.
  12. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    hm...I'm not sure I'd go for a forum strictly dedicated to trades.

What if a buyer is willing to both sell outright or trade their gear? Technically, they'd have to post twice, once in the "For Sale" forum and once in the "Trade" forum.

IMO, the "For Sale" forums we have set up now are sufficient.
  13. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I don't even bother looking at "feeler" ads-they irritate me! Is it For Sale or NOT?
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's my reaction, too. If it says "feeler," it saves me the trouble of even opening the thread.
  15. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
  16. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004

and I wouldn't suggest a trade-only forum; if anything, I might suggest a cash-sale-only-forum -- since those folks might like to be unbothered by a dozen "are you looking for trades" (which regularly come from me ;) ) -- but really fewer forums is better, and I'm just as happy if people say in their threads that they're not open to trades at all -- then I won't barrage them with my list-o-stuff-they-probably-don't-want :)
  17. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Feeler? I hardly even know her! :p
  18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Life is short. Why mess about with the undecided ? Wanna do a feeler - Go do it on CL or EBay.
  19. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

I agree...this should go to Paul.

I've put up a feeler before, but it turned into a for sale thread extremely fast with a price and list of trades I was looking at. (in fact...Mal ^ is going to be the new owner...) I personally never thought of it as an auction at all. If it pisses you off that badly to read "feeler" posts, the solution should be fairly simple. Don't read them.

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but there's nothing in the FAQ and rules that states that feelers are against the rules, but if it has tweaked you, talk to Paul about it, don't post it here.

20. pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    I agree. I also think that the whole feeler thing is out of hand. I typically don't respond to those ads. Why should I get excited about something that "might" be for sale, the whole process is goofy. I think
    "gear for sale" should mean just that.