1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Feeler' For Bill Fitzmaurice Design Cabs For Sale

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joegeezer, Apr 13, 2006.

1. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I am thinking of going into a franchised business, selling Bill Fitzmaurice Design Bass and PA cabs. The preferred Bass set-up seems to be the DR250, and Tuba24 cabs as a set, however there are plenty of guys using the Omni10s, Omni12s, and Omni15s, as stand alone cabs too. I am just putting out a feeler for who would be interested in the purchase of them, and which ones, and would you want to buy them as raw wood cabs, un-loaded, that you finish, or would you want to buy them finished, ready to plug and play? There are speaker options available, but most all will be Eminenece loaded. Take into consideration here that an Omni10, with two tens, puts out like a 4-10 bottom, and Omni12s, with one 12 and an 8, puts out like a 2-15 bottom, with more bottom end, and the DR250-Tuba24 combination, puts out like an 8-10 or more, with much more bottom end, with just a ten inch speaker in each cab, with just 500 watts pushing the two of them! Let me know which cabs you would be interested in, and if you are looking to buy them finished or unfinished. If the response is good here,I will up-grade to a commercial seller on this site, and begin the process of manufacturing and selling these cabs here on Talkbass. They are the Cats-Meow, of cabs, out performing anything else on the market today! Be the first kid on your block to rattle everything off your 'neighbors' shelves! give me your input here! Thanks Joegeezer

2. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas

Of course it all comes down to "How much $$$ are we talking here?" I think the Omnis would be your best bet, as they are cheaper to make than a DR/Tuba combo, and easier to build. They don't put out quite as much, but when you're looking at $100 less in materials and scads less in time and trouble, it's a much better product for retail sales, imo.

I'd like to have an Omni 12 (it seems like the sweet spot of size/weight/cost/performance), but it really would depend on how much it would cost to have the box made.

P.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 If I'm reading the spec's correctly, that 112 is as large as many 410 boxes (although lighter). Is that correct.. I think it's 24 by 28 by 15?. It would have to really perform like a 'big cab' at that size (which is about the same weight and size as , for example, an Epi410UL, and significantly larger than the large Schroeders, etc.).

I remember having a Cerwin Vega cabinet way back in the day that seemed similar to this... an 18 in a 'folded horn' with an 8" front mounted mid driver so you could hear yourself up close, since it took a while for the folded horn to 'focus'. Kind of a neat design, but I remember it lacked 'punch' compared to more traditionally designed, front mounted cabs. However, the smaller speaker in the 12 and 15 model you are talking about might help with that.

So.... this is an official request for Bill (so he doesn't run into moderator issues!) to expound on these cabs (the 10, the 12 and the 15).... how would you describe the sound of these cabs versus a good 'traditional design' cab like a 410, 2x12, or 2x10, etc.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'll hop on this bus, it doesn't look too short.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Thor... How's it going? Any plans for a Detroit visit?

Ken

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Man, I'm just getting ready to build an O-12 myself. Never built one, we'll see how it goes. I'm a stickler for details myself, but it looks pretty foolproof...

7. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Just to chime in from the peanut gallery....

I've built myself an Omni15 slightly modified into an "airhead" type config.....

Bill's plans are really very good as a "how-to" type document.

The cabinet took me about a month to build, but that was because it was done about 1/2 hour at a time on lunch breaks from work, I believe one could be done in a week or less (including finish and glue drying time) if one were to set their mind to it..... the result is good...

That said, If I could've bought an empty/unfinished O15 cost effectively, I'd have done it in a second...

SM

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'd love to see this, but it all depends on price including shipping.
    The size might make shipping more costly than worth it.

Buying unfinished, unloaded might be nice, but I don't think I could get the drivers cheaper than you, or finish the cabinet cheaper. The real labor cost is in the construction. Shipping wouldn't be that much cheaper for unloaded boxes.

It would be good to see some options for Bass in general, like if someone doesn't want a tweeter, just leave it off.

9. There is a trade-off that you haven't mentioned, in that the more complex speaker (DR) uses cheaper drivers, and the simpler speaker (Omni 12 & 15) uses several more expensive drivers plus a crossover. If you are looking at $$$ for the complete design, you need to keep that in mind.

I agree with you about the Omni 12 though - I put all the Omni and Tuba bass responses into an Excel graph, and there is nothing that is as flat (up to 200 Hz), that goes down as low. I have all the parts for an Omni 12, I just need to finish a couple of domestic DIY jobs before I start to build it.

10. Check into ForwardAir.Com for shipping big cabs.

They will ship almost anything you can stick on a pallet, including Harley-Davidson scooters. I have a friend-of-family working there, and she tells me the rates are highly competitive and quite reasonable.

The downside is they ship terminus-to-terminus, so you will have to:
    1) Pick it up at a ForwardAir terminus
    2) Arrange local carrier pickup from the terminus to you

Each set of plans offers both cheap and high-end driver choices, as well as specifying the optimum driver. The cost is in the labor, for sure.

There are additional costs (for me), such as incorporation. I have to do this to avoid exposing myself to a product liability lawsuit when some numb-nutz drops a cab on his foot and decides to sue. Liability is a fact of life today, and IMO, any builder who is not incorporated and self-protected is playing Russian Roulette with a lawyer. And guess who always wins...

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just to give you a data point, if and when my GAS bubble starts to bulge again, I will be interested in a BillF speaker, but I am prepared to just build one. I'd hate to let anybody else have the fun of doing it!

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I would love a DR250/Tube24 setup plug and play style:)

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Has anyone played just the DR250, without a sub?

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's been my primary set-up for three years.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've used ForwardAir a number of times and have always been very satisfied. A few years back it cost about $45 to ship a crated Ampeg 8x10 from Chicago to San Francisco... IIRC, $45 was their minimum charge and the actual cost/100 lbs would have been even less if not for the minimum charge.

As Bruce mentioned, there are a limited number of Forward Air terminals...but if the buyer and seller have one near them, it can't be beat!!!

The only other twists are that they only accept Money Orders if you don't have an account, so you show up, have them weigh the item and give you a price, then go buy a money order somewhere and then finish the paperwork. It's not something that can be done quickly (or in the evening or on weekends).

16. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    Well, the $100 difference between materials I quoted was using the figures on Bill's site (iirc), so it should be accounted for. I believe even with the extra drivers, the omni would be that much less than the DR/tuba setup. But it's one box vs two, so that's another thing to consider.

P.

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Apples and oranges. An Omni 10 isn't the equivalent of a DR250/T24. It would take an Omni 15 to approach that level of performance, and the DR250/T24 would still be better.

18. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    Sure, I'm not talking equal performance. I'm just looking at it from a retail sales & production standpoint. I just think you'd make more money off of them than DR/Ts due to lower material cost and build time, one box design, and weight. More marketable and cheaper, imo.

P.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey Bill and all;
    I'm only vaguely familiar with your designs. I most often use my Schroeder 1210. Small, light, efficient, very big sound for it's size, great power handling ability, and it works very well for both DB and electric. Do you have any "single solution cabs" that might be in that sort of ballpark?
    As my next cabinet chess move, I was hoping to make the move to a 1210 Light. The 1210 works very well for me, but lighter is, well, lighter;)

thanks, alan

20. This is the Avatar business model. Use one-size-fits-all cabs for maximum production efficiency, and hire a team to slam out as many cabs as possible. Compared to a BFD cab, the Avatars are easy builds with minimal labor cost. The end result works well for Dave and his target market.

Hand crafted designs are at the other end of the spectrum. Both a Ferrari and a Kia will move you down the road. The difference is how you want to move, and they are priced accordingly.