1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Feeler - FS/FT - '84 Ibanez Musician (924 PW)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Reprise, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reprise

Reprise Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    Posting this because I've got a serious case of GAS since joining here, and need some relief :) I"ve purchased 2 basses since this one, and want to try and get what I've wanted all along. So I'm willing to say good-bye to this one.

After many years away from the instrument, I recently decided to acquire a copy of the first bass I ever got to play - my friend's 79 Musician, w/ the active package in dark stain. Yeah, I got the bug again... :smug:

Sadly, I couldn't find a DS locally, but did find an '84 in Polar White - like all, it has yellowed over the years. It also has a set of Barts in place of the Super P and Super J pups. No, I don't have the originals. I do, however, have what I believe is the OHSC, which is in fairly rough condition. Everything else on it except the strings is as when it left Japan.

Condition of the bass, I'd rate as at least a 7-8 of 10. It's in pretty nice shape for a 28 year old bass. Active only - whoever put the Barts in bypassed the active / passive switch. But it still has nice tone - my wife can tell whenever I'm playing it.
    Some assorted nicks, mostly by the headstock, and there's a small area by the bridge (?) pup where some of the clearcoat has chipped. Other than that, pretty darn good!

Pics will be posted by the weekend when I get home from my trip, if there's any interest.

I won't say what I paid for it here, but I'll ask - what is equal trade value for something like this? One thing I'll trade for in a second is a DS w/ the active electronics +/- cash, depending on the offer. That's the bass I really wanted, but couldn't find. Earlier models w/ the 3-way toggle for the pups are especially desired, although I know many here don't like that, and prefer the blend knob, which this one has.

Rules say I have to put a price on this, so I'll say $750 shipped CONUS or a bass of equal trade value, +/- cash. Paypal required.

Again, this is just a feeler - trying to determine fair value before making a deal. And I know - 'fair' is subjective. But I know this particular bass has some value, and it's a favorite of mine, too. I just have it in the wrong color for me :D

2. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    Pics (sorry for the wait...) Where indicated, I'll try and point out the nicks, etc. In the second one here, you can see a couple by the edge of the headstock.

Attached Files:

3. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    Rear of the headstock - again, a couple of nicks at the top.

Looking at the S/N, this should be an April 84 production model.

Attached Files:

4. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    Wear on the battery cover shown here...and a couple of scratches on the electronics cavity cover.

This first shot of the front shows the routed hole for the neck pickup being larger than the bart pickup itself - from what I see, this was not routed larger - the replacement was smaller than the original 'Super P', I believe.

Attached Files:

5. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    On the second one here, you can see the black finish worn from the input jack plate. Looks like a couple of imperfections to the right, as well - from what I recall, these are not gouges, but I will dblcheck for anyone interested (I don't have the bass with me as I post these).

Attached Files:

6. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    On these last two, I'm showing where the clear coating has worn in a couple of places on the underside of the fingerboard, and in the second picture, where the clearcoat has chipped away at the bottom of the bridge pup (LH side).

I can take more pics for those interested. On the case, which was on the first pic, it's a bit 'musty' smelling inside, but is structurally OK. The outside, which I didn't picture, is rough. I would not transport the bass in this case on a regular basis, but it's fine for home storage (if I were to keep this, I woud get another hard case for this bass, and store this one away for the collectible value only).

Attached Files:

7. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    I've got a couple of things in mind that I would trade for (besides the Musician in dark stain!); one of them would be a MIA Precision (in burst or black, and preferably with maple neck / block inlays). But shoot me your trade offers as well - while I've listed this as a feeler for now, it will be good to see what people would be willing to trade. I will consider all reasonable ones, and cash +/- can always be discussed.

PS: If, after viewing this, you believe that this bass was not as I described (7-8/10), let me know. I don't have much experience evaluating on the 10point scale where a bass is concerned. Thank you in advance for your input! :bag:

8. Still Available....????

9. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    It is...and I just picked up a fretless version in the DS, so this one is for sale now. From a body standpoint, it's in better shape than the fretless. I've discovered something else about this bass in the last few days, as well; PM me for info.

Also, I don't know if I'm 'allowed' to sell from a 'feeler' thread, so I may need to repost this as an actual 'FS'. But PM me and we'll talk. Thanks!

10. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I've got the same year bass, same color too... all original. I'm thinking the rear pickup route has been enlarged on your bass. Original pickup was a jazz style with a rectangular route.

11. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Pmd

12. Reprise

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    This is what I was referring to...but not that the rear cavity was enlarged...it's that the rear pup is actually sitting ON TOP of the cavity. Check out the 1st photo in the 5th post - you can kind of see it there.

I'm going to grab this bass later today after work and check this, to be sure. I was really originally worried about the front pup cavity, as my experience until now had been limited to the 'gen 1' pups (twin DCs, if I guess correctly).

Also, I found out that the circuit board is missing from this one - it not only has the pups replaced, but the original electronics are not there (found this out when I opened up the fretless 940 I got last week to compare).

I'm going to close this thread and post a new one, with the new things I've found, and to not have any problems with the mods with selling in a 'feeler' thread. I want any potential buyer / trader to have 'full disclosure' before pulling the trigger on this one. I'm also adjusting the price to reflect the missing electronics.

Jedi - thank you for bringing this up - appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.